A White Blanket of Beauty

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
After waiting years for a good snowfall to occur at the right time of the week, so that I could get down to the pines while it was still fresh, it finally happened. Sunday morning I headed down to my friend Jack's place in Cherry Hill. I was struck by the definite change in the amount of snow as I headed south on the TP. Exit 8, not much. Exit 7a, not much. Exit 6... was there a storm or not? Exit 4... wow. Snow.

After a little pre-journey fortification we had three vehicles heading out toward Atsion. Jack's Tacoma with his golden Colbie riding shotgun. Jack's friend Kyle with his Geo Tracker and 6" lift, and my FJ. Our friends John and Jake rode along. Everyone was excited, not least of all Colbie, and looking forward to the trip.

We went in on Quaker Bridge Rd., which had been pretty well packed down. In fact that condition applied to all of Quaker Bridge, Washington, and Penn's Swamp Roads, but despite this we saw only one other vehicle the whole afternoon, other than a couple of trucks parked at QB.

We pulled off of Quaker Bridge Rd. at a little spot on the Mullica where Jack often puts in. The snow was lying perhaps two to two-and-a-half feet deep right down to the river. The woods were still, hushed, gleaming, with patches of impossibly bright blue sky tearing holes in the white canopy. It was really incredibly peaceful and beautiful. Here's a shot of Colbie appreciating the view up the Mullica from the landing.

And here's a shot looking up-river from the same spot. The snow clung to everything, as if it had been sprayed from a giant aerosol can of Christmas Tree garnish.

Colbie standing in front of the FJ above the landing. We were only ten minutes in and already the hubs were packed with snow. Things had only started to get sloppy, and more was to come.

Back on Quaker Bridge Rd. we stopped to get a picture of the water flowing out from under the ice on that little spung or bog on the north side. I don't know what it's called, but you guys know the spot. Someone asked how cold that water must be and Jack answered half-jokingly "33 degrees."

Quaker Bridge looked like it belonged on a post card, or in a coffee table book. The snow on the eastern side was deep and had drifted into and filled all the sand hollows. There were a couple of trucks parked there and as we later saw some x-country skiers we assumed it was them. Here is a shot looking west along QB road at the bridge.

And here is another take from the bridge deck. It was just such an absolutely sparkling day, I couldn't get over the light.

After leaving Quaker Bridge we headed southeast on Washington Rd. and into the fairytale wonderland of the Penn Swamp area. Here's a shot of the road not far beyond where it crosses the branch.

We had actually mean to take the road straight into Mount, but as I have done about seven hundred times before I mistook the left turn onto Washington and allowed myself to be funneled down Penn Swamp Road. We decided to keep going to Batsto-Washington Rd., then hook around and come up Mount Rd.

Mount Rd. was untracked, and it's a fairly tough stretch even when you know exactly where the road is. Nevertheless we decided to go for it, and things went very well. It was quite a rush breaking trail with snow up to the bumpers, and we had to maneuver around some really deep, wet holes. Kyle made a try at getting through one deep one in his Tracker and we ended up needing the FJ and a strap to get him back out of it. Still we made it all the way up to Mount. Here's a pic of the road westward out of the clearing. I took one of the way we had come up, but it didn't turn out well. Anyway, this gives you some idea. It was tough driving but I was impressed with all three vehicles, more so since the Taco and FJ aren't lifted at all.

At Mount we pondered our choices and decided to head for Jemima. Here's a shot of the caravan idling by the site of Cranmer's Hotel. You guys won't be surprised to know that despite the lack of other vehicles in the woods, someone had already been in and out of the celler hole, tearing great muddy ruts through it.

The road to Jemima was also tough, and we took a lot of go-rounds. At the hill itself someone had been up the northernmost of the two front approaches, but nobody had done the southern one although its not as steep. We went around the back way. Here's a shot looking out from the top.

And finally, the whole gang less one photographer standing on Jemima near the top of the two front approaches to the hill.

When we left Jack descended the steeper of the two front approaches in his taco, and to those of us watching from the top he looked a little like an out of control bobsled, but fortunately he avoided the few obstacles. I took the southern route down, which was steep enough for my taste.

The Pines after a deep snow are really a special experience. I'm thrilled that I had a chance yesterday to experience it, and jealous of all of you who have it right out the back door, or just a few miles away. From the weather report it seems like nature might refresh that blanket of beauty this Wednesday, so enjoy it!

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Great pics and report Mark!!! I am so hoping to get there with the next snow fall. I just hope my social director (wife) doesn't make plans for me!! If she does, I just might have to play hooky from work.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice report and great photos Mark. I could have walked out my back door into a winter wonderland, but after spending all morning clearing my long driveway, I was quite happy to spend the rest of the day inside. :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Beautiful Mark.
Brave job on breaking trail through the great unknown. The partially frozen water holes beneath the snow always keep me puckering.
Lots of potential for a good stuck or worse, a broken tie rod. Looks like you had good support throughout, including Colbie as trail guide.

The sky yesterday was as crisp and blue as I can ever remember. It was as if the massive snowfall had scrubbed it clean, which actually does occur to some degree.
My wife and I hit Forsythe Wildlife Refuge yesterday and had to walk in from the gate on Great Creek Road. I took some photos there that look almost fake with the sky was so clear and blue.

I love the snow and the all of the challenges and stark beauty that come with it.

Nice report and thanks for posting.

Scott

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thanks for posting, Mark. You've given us great shots of a beautiful region, and it sounds like y'all had an interesting adventure. I'm glad you were able to get out there.

Glo

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Great day out Mark! That first shot of the dog on the river is the winner. That's a postcard dude!
I too would like to get out to Q/B in this but can not so thanks for sharing. What I really like, is you use your vehicle and get out there. I see so many of those just being pampered around the streets because they're "cute". As Scott said, skies are wonderful now. I see the most awe inspiring sunsets in winter and the skies are beyond compare. Is that some sort of "cold weather ice crystal effect in the air" I wonder?
Anyhoo,
Good show man.

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Beautiful Mark.
Brave job on breaking trail through the great unknown. The partially frozen water holes beneath the snow always keep me puckering. Lots of potential for a good stuck or worse, a broken tie rod.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that almost all the waterholes were easily detectable from the flatness of the snow and in most cases some slushing right over the middle. Stumps are probably my number one concern on a road like Mount, in conditions where you can't always tell quite exactly where it runs. I'd hate to run up on one at 5-10 mph.

That first shot of the dog on the river is the winner. That's a postcard dude!
I too would like to get out to Q/B in this but can not so thanks for sharing. What I really like, is you use your vehicle and get out there. I see so many of those just being pampered around the streets because they're "cute".

Thanks, George. Colbie is easily one of the most beautiful Goldens I know, and Jack is very proud of her. She's a shelter rescue and was a handful initially, but he says she's coming right along. As for the mall crawler FJs, there are definitely more and more of them around. Personally I like them a little battered and scratched :).