A writer has a question

CMS

Jun 13, 2015
Lawrenceville
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to make an account.
I am currently writing a novel which takes place in the Pine Barrens. Google searches haven't helped much with my questions concerning search parties in the Pine Barrens. I find very little about the technicalities of search parties in swampy areas. Hopefully, I can get some help here!

My questions are:
1. If someone, specifically a person under 18, gets lost in the Pines, which types of search parties are organized? Is it primarily by foot, by car/truck, or by air? Or a mixture of the three?
2. How is a search party conducted around swampy areas during the winter?

I plan to take a trip to the Pines to explore, in more depth, the areas that I'm writing about. I just thought I could ask a few questions now before I venture down there.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
CMS

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a question that only someone who has been involved with a search could answer. I believe there is a least one person here who could answer that.

emoo125

I don't have an answer for your questions, unfortunately... but just want to say good luck! I'm a writer too, Pinelands born and bred - my novel came out this past Fall, and also takes place in the Pine Barrens. I suspect our plots are a bit different, but always nice to find a kindred spirit! :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Every search and rescue effort is different depending on location, climate, the person's age and health reliability of last known whereabouts accounts, etc.

Carry one of these units and if a true life and death need to activate it arises, you will see first hand how search and rescue teams deployed.
Not to be taken lightly and never to be activated as a prank.
http://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-2881...n-P2954.aspx?gclid=CMOMtv3LksYCFViQHwodWWwAcg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Carry one of these units and if a true life and death need to activate it arises, you will see first hand how search and rescue teams deployed.

I'd consider that. I've also looked at the one where your friends and family can go online and see where you are anytime. Problem with that is, hours could be crucial.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'd consider that.

A PLB would be a smart thing for you to carry on your solo outings Bob. They are small and light.
Mine stays in my saltwater tackle bag and it goes with me on every trip on my boat and when I go on someone else's boat.
It's a lot of piece of mind for under $300.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd consider that. I've also looked at the one where your friends and family can go online and see where you are anytime. Problem with that is, hours could be crucial.

When my son was driving OTR he got a SPOT. We were able to follow him around the country without bothering him, worked pretty well but there are option cost's associated with it besides the purchase.