A yes vote for parks won't increase taxes

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
Just another money grab. The ballot question is being misrepresented. Its true that taxes will not be raised to the general public, anymore than they currently are to finance this already existing program. It appears they simply want to increase the amount of monies for certain programs. A yes vote would approve the proposed amendment to the state's constitution. If approved, many of the changes would not take place until 2016. Lots can happen in the next 10 years. Much (if not most) of the existing program seems to focus on the costs of removing hazardous underground storage tanks and addressing clean water situations. Those aren't bad things but I don't know how much they have in common with parks and open spaces. Of course I don't profess to know everything but to read the amendement it barely makes mention, if at all, of adding new spaces and the personnel to man them. My trick knee tells me there is a pet project hidden in this somewhere. Flame Away. :)

supercilious

Scout
Jun 27, 2004
who would vote for something that could be in the general budget, and i see no proof the funds would not be put in the general budget. Also who needs to spend money on parks, they cost money to maintain, the so called benefits are inflated, just abandon them to return to nature.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
just abandon them to return to nature.

I hear ya. I know some on this site want to see $ go toward retoration of some of the ghost towns, I can see that, but I think there is something romantic in watching them disappear to nature. Nature though, not vandals!

I doubt that $ would go toward that cause anyway. If a bridge goes out in wharton SF, I guarantee a bunch of people like ourselves would have a new one built in no time and at no cost. (although the integrity of the bridge maybe questionable:) )

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I'm concerned that they will screw up lakes such as Oswego like they did Atsion. Atsion lake used to be informal and you didn't have to pay to use it. Now it has a fence, large crouds and most important, it's closed a good part of the year. I like to kayak it year round. I also have done trips from Jackson road to the lake but once it's closed they don't even allow launching or parking on the north side. The pines need to be left alone.

Ed

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I hear ya. I know some on this site want to see $ go toward retoration of some of the ghost towns, I can see that, but I think there is something romantic in watching them disappear to nature. Nature though, not vandals! I doubt that $ would go toward that cause anyway. If a bridge goes out in wharton SF, I guarantee a bunch of people like ourselves would have a new one built in no time and at no cost. (although the integrity of the bridge maybe questionable:) )Jeff

I still support, probably because of close proximity, some attention to Atsion. I really think some good could come of it. Also, even if that money was just spent in keeping of the grounds, I.E. vandalism and trash, you could in fact let them go to nature in a clean and undisturbed way which would in fact be cool with me. All the crap I saw out there a few months ago has me wanting to spend some time right in Atsion proper cleaning up this coming weekend.
Your bridges... aside from simple foot traffic of course, approve a design that will accomodate an ATV and I'll be there promptly with nails & duct tape to lend a hand.

P.S., as to ecampbell's thoughts.
Agree 100%. that's good trekking by paddle and it is a shame it's been limited in such a way.

g.