Abandoned building on 206

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Yes , sorry not far enough east LOL. but that's where i mean. thanks for the correction

lol, no problem... Its nice to know a bit of history behind that old engine! Before it was outside the Harley Dealer it was outside a used car dealer just west of the Parkway, also on 30.

Now this teepee, was that the place that was across from Columbus? I remember when it was full of junk, old cars, and I think even a train (this one?). My parents have told me stories about how a guy used to live there that didn't want to pay his taxes or something like that. And he'd have signs up protesting govt up and down 206 on his property. I heard he even ate his ponies so he wouldn’t have to leave his land for food.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He ran for Congress with Erv Homer the talk radio personality from the old 96.5FM. Both of them were quite odd.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Yes He did live in that teepee and an older woman bailed him out once and then he wound up in the Hospital and she paid the taxes again, but he either went to a home or passed away after that. The first time he was sick and away from there some one went onto the property and supposedly stole thousands of bucks worth of Platinum he had, where he got it only GOD knows . And It was across from Columbus

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Military scrap isn't anything to sweat, that Junk yard on Jackson Road In Atco has a couple of whole fuselages from Planes , we've poured Concrete there way in the back and we only had room for the truck from tire to tire , fold the mirrors in to

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Military scrap isn't anything to sweat, that Junk yard on Jackson Road In Atco has a couple of whole fuselages from Planes , we've poured Concrete there way in the back and we only had room for the truck from tire to tire , fold the mirrors in to

Ha, there's a memory. Those planes have been there forever. The last time I saw them was easily 20 years ago.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I've been in and around that area for over 30 years and they were there then , I'm beginning to think they allow that junk to slowly return to the earth, I never see anything move from there

plutenny

May 14, 2009
My friend and I found two things that seemed odd. We were behind the Wawa on Jacksonville/Jobstown road and were wondering if anyone might know anything about either.
First, there was a house out a little bit into the woods that was completely collapsed, but not too overgrown. It looked like it could have been one of the "sister houses" that someone else was talking about (can't remember who, sorry for not crediting), but we're not 100% certain.
Then in the field directly across from the Greenberg house/store was a white cross. At first we thought it may have been for someone who had been hit by a car, but it was too far away from the road, and the person died in 1952. The name on the cross was Irma Thomas, and said across the bottom "Daughter, Sister, Mother, Grandmother".

Here's a link to the cross, taken with my cellphone:
http://tinypic.com/r/2i91ksp/5

Maxwell

Feb 3, 2013
A couple of notes on John "Lucky" Mahalchik: He didn't live in the teepee; he wanted everyone to think he did, but he spent nights at his ladyfriend's house. The ponies he let starve and draped their carcasses over the fence along the highway.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
My fondest memory is when Mahalchik ran for the US House in 1974, ‘76, & ‘78 under the America First party. New Jersey Network gave him equal airtime with opponents. His battle cry was sung to a polka beat by a cute blond in a Polish dance costume accompanied by an accordion. The only words to the son that I can remember are, “...and Mahalchik is his name, he’s good for you, he’s good for me...” I wonder if NJN has archival footage of this?