Abbott's Meadow

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This looks like a great place to visit this time of year. Have you ever been here? The silver color is interesting.

1672345343347.png

Reactions: Menantico

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I took this photo 8 years ago from a viewing platform. Looking at the placement of the reactors and the cooling tower, it appears I took the photo from the Abbotts Meadow viewing platform.
2015-02-13_salem_nuclear.jpg

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bob. If you go, I got everything you need, 2 spotting scopes, a professional tripod, and various field guides, one signed by Roger Tory Peterson. My sister was a avid birder.

Reactions: bobpbx

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Not much you can see on foot - you need boat! The bright areas in the photo are probably mud flats.
I've gone in there once at low tide by kayak from Elsinboro Point. You can go into the meadows from Black or Straight Ditch and come out onto Alloway Creek, then paddle back up the Delaware to Elsinboro Point. If you time it wrong and hit the incoming tide on Alloway Creek you're in for a long wait - the incoming tide on Alloway Creek really rips.
I've also gone in on the high tide by jonboat, piloted by the old gentlemen - Carlton Sowers - who lived where the old farmhouse was on Money Island Rd before PSEG acquired it. He trapped the meadows, and careened thru those channels like mad - knew them like the back of his hand. Its an incredible maze back in there.
Before the state and PSEG bought the land most of it was owned by a hunting club, the members being primarily bankers from Cherry Hill area.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
When you park on Money Island Rd you have the option for 2 viewing platforms. Straight down the road is the one in your photo. You can also take another road out directly towards the Delaware. I have never been there during the summer and imagine it to be a bug paradise. Lots of exposed mud during low tide. There were some buildings out on Money Island at one time. All that I found were some scatered bricks, randomly planted daffodils and an extremely large silver maple. It is pretty neat watching some of the large vessels navigate the river. They look so close but are still pretty far away.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When you park on Money Island Rd you have the option for 2 viewing platforms. Straight down the road is the one in your photo. You can also take another road out directly towards the Delaware. I have never been there during the summer and imagine it to be a bug paradise. Lots of exposed mud during low tide. There were some buildings out on Money Island at one time. All that I found were some scatered bricks, randomly planted daffodils and an extremely large silver maple. It is pretty neat watching some of the large vessels navigate the river. They look so close but are still pretty far away.
I do see another small one here. Not for the faint of heart unless the bugs are gone.

1672590336707.png

Reactions: TommyP