Absegami weekend

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I tend to like roughing it when camping. My wife, not so much. So we stayed at one of the shelters at Absegami lake in Bass River this weekend (Friday evening to Sunday morn). Beautiful weather. I wish I took more pictures but most of day on Saturday was spend on the lake and I forgot my camera. Saw many turtles, mostly red bellies, I caught a painted turtle form the stern of the canoe. Saw a small snapping turtle also. A huge white egret and a host of song birds all over the place including a black and white warbler which was very cool. ONe thing that struck me was a tremendous number of crows that hung about the camp site.

WE saw two raccoons, one of which was absolutley Huge!!. This was the one that scared the hell out of my wife when she went to answer nature in the middle of the night.

As expected, I did alot of fishing. caught about 12 fish total. Most were very small except for two: a 21" and this guy below that measured in at a hair under 24". He is not the biggest I've caught but he gave me one of the best fights I've ever had!! Sorry the pic isn't better.

normal_absegami_005.jpg

It was a very nice weekend.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is quite a catch for a small lake visited by hordes of New Jerseyans over the summer. Good job!

You sure picked a good weekend for it too.

PS: Who took the photo? Did you grab a ranger or another camper?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, it is a popular spot and very "developed" area in terms of park organization but what a beautiful lake. My wife took the picture.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice catch! And a great weekend for being there.

Guy