Access:How do you feel about how good it is?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I'm talking about access to woodlands. From what I hear, it sounds like plenty of land in the NJ Pine Barrens is accessible to the public, even by jeep (jeeps aren't allowed much on woods roads here on LI, except in WMA's where hunting is allowed, and you need a permit).
I know the Forked River Mountains are partially privately owned, by they do allow access to the public in spots. I'd like to see that beautifully area preserved for the public permanantly, I wish the state of NJ would get off their asses and do it already!
Anyway, my thoughts about access here on LI are definately more negative, especially here in Nassau county. In Suffolk County, there is a good deal of woodlands for the public to enjoy without much trouble. However, in Nassau county, things aren't so great. Most of the county is developed, most of the parks are developed parks, with few woodlands. The most open spaces left are in the eastern part of the county, such as Massapequa preserve, Bethpage State Park, and Stillwell woods preserve.
There are woodlands on Nassau's north shore, but very little of them are open to the public. They are usually country clubs, like the Old Westbury Country Club. I'd love to see this purchased as open space and made available for all. But here's something you won't believe! There was a great opportunity to have a nice park with a woodland. It also happens to mark the highest point in Nassau county, atop the Harbor Hill moraine. It stands 300 feet above sea level, and would offer great views of the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island Sound. It is the former Roslyn Air National Guard Property on Harbor Hill road. I really would've liked the county to purchase it and turn it into a park. What did happen was the Village of East Hills bought the property and turned it into a "park". Though I can't exactly call it a park. Parks are usually open to the public. This one is not. They have a new high security fence with a gate and a guard station. The Village of East Hills has decided to use the property for it's residents only. That's right, you have to show a resident ID just to enter, even off season. They also cut down some of the woods to make way for a pool and tennis courts. The other buildings are used by the village for it's courts, highway maintanance, and security force (the village hires it's own rent-a-cops to patrol it's streets).
So you cannot get to the highest point in Nassau thanks to the new feat of snobbery by the Village of East Hills. I've been alot of places, even the beaches in Southampton and East Hampton, in summer, and wasn't barred entry. Sure, parking was for residents only in season, but no one was prevented from going in just by walking.
I recently got into a heated discussion with an East Hills resident in a Greenvale Chinese eastery. I was talking to a man who was running for the Roslyn school board. Apparently he was saying the Roslyn School district is being burdened by lots of new students from East Hills, yet, not everyone in the district can use their park. So his suggestion was to kick East Hills out of Roslyn if they won't open the park for access to all. Apparently it's been heard that the village has siphoned SD taxes into the park. Also the property is used by county police. Anyway, after he left, some woman with her kids overheard our conversation and started defending the VEH position of it's park and said how "she wasn't a snob". She said she wanted to feel secure and didn't want "outsiders" in their park. Then I brought up the fact that I always see landscaping trucks driving around East Hills, often illegal aliens working as landscapers and contractors in the community. They also use nannies who may be here illegally. The woman got all upset and told me I was upsetting her kids. "See, a typical East Hills resident" I replied back. They'll let illegals into their community, yet have a rent-a-cop force along with a park all to themselves, I guess they never heard of Mary Nagle.
Anyway, getting back to the open space issue, it's an outrage that this park is not open to the public. It has such geological significance in LI's history. Hopefully someone will take VEH to court and open those trails to the public. The property is on Harbor Hill road.
Also another case is Overlook Park in Merrick. While a manmade park, the views from the hill are amazing, yet once again, only TOH residents are allowed to use it. Ludicris! :mad:
In Suffolk all 3 high points, Jayne Hill in West Hills, Bald Hill in Farmingville, and Bald Hill in Manorville, are accessible to the public. Perhaps yet another reason that Suffolk has much more to offer in wilderness and beauty than Nassau.
My last criticism on this topic has to do with the state. I think it's ridiculous that you should need a permit to hike in the DEC preserves and Connetquot State Park. I've heard Suffolk does require green key access in season, however, I've walked into their parks in summer and never have been bothered. Same goes for the DEC and Connetquot, although I do have the DEC permit. There are also some beautiful ponds and woodlands on the Brookhaven National Lab entry, but the DOE bans all access, although there's no fence to stop you, but you know the Feds, they'll bullbust you for going into their woods, while letting Paco sneak in with his breeder and 5 or so coughing kids speading disease, but I disgress. So if you want to go out there, don't let these silly rules stop you. And I'll be finding a way to tresspass to Nassau's highest point sooner or later. :jd:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
WOW! You have to move out of that area. Not a place i would want to be.

Guy

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
BTW here is what the fine folks in East Hills have to say about their park at www.villageofeasthills.com

[FONT=arial,helvitica]Overall, our crowning glory is the acquisition and construction of our 50-plus acre park. Officially opened on September 4, 2006, it is one of finest parks in Nassau County. After nine years of intensive efforts in Washington, DC, and at the state and county levels, we bought the property from the United States Air Force and then developed it solely for our residents. The Park is not available to non residents. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]The facilities are state-of-the-art. Our new park now features the largest leisure pool of any village on Long Island with a 12,000 sq. feet swimming pool, together with a separate pool for toddlers of 707 sq. ft; men’s; ladies locker rooms; snack bar area and large lounge area surrounding the heated pool, a new Senior center with a separate card room, two age distinct children’s playgrounds, six tennis courts with a new tennis facility, two multi-use fields, with one accommodating men’s softball, and both little league, and soccer competition. Snuggled in the 15 acres of hills will also be a nature and jogging trail. There is also a fully renovated auditorium, a picnic area, and a general use field for lawn games. Then too, there is a bike, rollerblading and walking path; two basketball courts; and and two "bark parks" for various sized canine members of the family. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]With regard to the services East Hills provides, the Village furnishes sanitation, road repair and replacement, security, administrative facilities, leaf collection, snow removal, zoning regulation, code enforcement, tree removal, and a village justice court. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]We are the largest community in the greater Roslyn area with an estimated 7,000 residents and 2,300 homes. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]We are all proud of the fine lifestyle we enjoy. But the real credit belongs to our residents who are friendly and fun loving. Each year we have softball competition called the "Mayor's Cup." [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]In short, thanks in major part to my Board of Trustee's our village has grown in stature and prestige and is known for its cutting edge innovations, whether it is our new park, our internal sanitation services, our leaf collection program, our internship program for high school students, or our one- of-a-kind Village Calendar sent to all our residents each year with convenient dates. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]East Hills is one of the finest and most exclusive communities to live in the United States with the highest quality of life and finest life style. We have some of the best civic association leaders and many of the most devoted and dedicated community leaders. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvitica]Please stop-by our village hall next time you are visiting our community. You'll receive the same warm and friendly welcome that the members of my administrative staff gives to all our guests and residents. We would be glad to answer your questions and share with you our enthusiasm of why East Hills has become popularly known as "The Championship Community!" [/FONT]​

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
over development, private property, urban trails, not for us. but you do have to give up certian things, a trip to homedepot 50 miles away or wal-fart are a planned trip for us when we can't get certain stuff local

but only two traffic lights within 30 miles, LOL

but it is quiet, very quiet.