ACE Property/Holly Orchard Development?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Does anyone know if they are developing that property or have plans to? Heard some grumblings about this, wonder if its just rumor......manumuskin and I are nervous...thx.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Drove past there yesterday and noticed that old for sale sign is getting older. Made me wonder whether there were any new developments myself. I mentioned in another thread, the section of Rt 49 between somewhere around there and Rt 47 has been under construction for at least a year and a half for a project that looks like it should have taken 6 months. Looks like they may be getting close to finishing it though.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Hmm...I'm not familar with that project Boyd. I just hope they aren't doing anything down that way, area is special to me, I spent many enjoyable days down there.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
As far as I can tell, they were just installing storm sewers on Rt 49 from Rt 47 to about 2 miles South. Looks like they had to move some power poles as part of it. I don't think that project has anything to do with the Holly Orchard or new development. My guess is that it's a response to the bad flooding we had about 3 years ago. They also made the exit from rt 55 to rt 49 two lanes wide and created some kind of drainage basin there.

It just seems like it is taking forever, and not much was happening at all much of the time. Must suck for the people who live there, with yards and driveways torn up, machinery parked in front of their homes for well over a year.

Reactions: janwor

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Water quality at risk under New Jersey bill

"Just when a recent Monmouth University poll shows N.J. residents view protecting freshwater supplies as the top state priority, our lawmakers have decided to ignore the science and public in favor of allowing developers to send sewers and intensive growth into our best remaining open lands — much of it in Barnegat Bay and Cumberland County, particularly in the Maurice River Watershed."​

and

Developers, environmentalists fight for lawmakers' support on sewerage legislation

"The bills will help New Jersey compete to attract business and jobs, said Ted Zangari, a real estate lawyer and founder of the Smart Growth Economic Development Coalition.“We’re down to about 800,000 developable acres. That’s not enough to feed the future,” Zangari said...The state should do all it can to encourage redevelopment in existing suburbs; “however, at the end of the day the customer is right,” Zangari said."​
and

Smart Growth Economic Development Coalition Presents “Economic Development Recovery Strategy for New Jersey” to Christie/Guadagno Administration and 214th Legislature

Overhaul the state planning process (and the CMP?)​

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Spung-Man there is something going on in this state that is very troubling to me. Its troubling to me that developers and politicians are holding everyone hostage with there agendas to make them money. Now this isn't new obviously but I've seen more and more that people seem to really dislike further development in many areas. Its just ashame to see woods destroyed over the interest of a couple people, many times that don't even live in the county or state. I see it so often, people building just to spark investment and growth, its not quality building though its just throwing something together that nobody wants or needs. We have a large inventory of homes in this country/state why do we keeping building new ones. I'm a finance major, I understand business, but growth should be quality growth and not just building things that nobody needs. You see in China, they are building massive infrastructure, malls, large scale condos that nobody in China can afford. They are doing it just to build because they are obsessed with their GDP growth, its not quality GDP growth though. I know people will say its 'progress' but I hate that line, its nonsense. Is our society really that better now than it was 20, 30, 50 years ago, I doubt it. Has this 'progress' really made life more enjoyable?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Dragoncjo,

Priority Funding Areas are not unlike bank bail-outs. According to Downs (2005) pressure to adopt Smart Growth policies does not come from the citizenry at large but from special interest groups. Smart Growth means nothing in the Pinelands. As Down (2005: 368) suggested, “In reality, it has almost come to stand for ‘whatever form of growth I like best’ in the opinion of whoever is speaking.” His sentiment was echoed by Kinsey (2008: 4) who said that New Jersey’s “Definitions of ‘Smart Growth’ are myriad and conflicting, often reflecting the agenda of the definer.”

Big builders promote “Smart Growth” incentives to get permission to create large-scale mixed-use projects that would have never been possible before in Pinelands Villages. We, the public, will pay for this privilege through tax incentives to the developer and by subsidizing infrastructure costs (sewers, roads). This movement is an outgrowth of the Mount Laurel II decision, from which the Pinelands National Reserve is exempt. Sadly, as Down (2005) suggested, “developers will quickly leapfrog new subdivisions beyond the urban growth boundary... [and] will soon undermine the whole idea of confining future growth into a more compact area.” Maryland is considered home to the Smart Growth concept. Lewis et al. (2009) concluded that Maryland’s Smart Growth trial was a failure for that very reason.
  • Downs, A., 2005: 'Smart Growth: Why We Discuss It More than We Do It.' Journal of the American Planning Association. 71: 4, 367—378.
  • Kinsey, D.N., 2008: 'Has the Mount Laurel Doctrine Delivered on Smart Growth?' Planning & Environmental Law. 60: 6, 3—9.
  • Lewis, R., Knaap, G-J, Sohn, J., 2009: Managing Growth With Priority Funding Areas: A Good Idea Whose Time Has Yet to Come. Journal of the American Planning Association. 75, 4: 457–478.
S-M

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Does anyone know if they are developing that property or have plans to?

I noticed there's a Prudential sign out by the gate now. Anybody wanna lease a mansion? :D http://www.prufoxroach.com/8023938__CMNCMN__8023938.html

FOR LEASE: The Millville Holly Orchard Estate: Exquisite 10,000 sq.ft GEORGIAN COLONIAL designed as a corporate conference center/headquarters in a luxurious estate surroundings is available for lease. Gated entrance, 1 mile long private road. 4 very large meeting rooms 5 classroom size rooms with a full large kitchen. High quality marble floor and 2 fire places at the center hall, custom plush carpet in the other rooms. Crown molding, solid wood banisters and decorative accents. 2 very large accessible bathrooms. 200 person occupancy permitted. Rear courtyard & serene grounds tucked away in the middle of 1350 acre estate. High ceilings and lots of windows with a fantastic views. Great location! 40min from Philadelphia and 25 min from Atlantic City. Please view floor plans for details. More info/brochures avail. Very Rare!!!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's another interesting property.... for sale signs went up sometime last year: http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...Estell-Manor_NJ_08330_M52377-69007?source=web
103 Route 50 Estell Manor, NJ 08330
  • $135,000
  • County: Atlantic
  • Area: Estell Manor City
  • Approximately 27 acre(s)
  • River view
  • Waterfront property
  • Approximate lot is 1500x667x906x1765
  • Lot features: River Front, Wooded Lot, Number of Lots: Three
  • Lot size is 20 or more acres
  • Topography: Wooded
  • Zoning: R10
  • Utilities present: Electric Service Available, Gas Service Available
This is situated between the Atlantic County Park to the South and Belcoville to the North - I always assumed it was part of the park before. Seems like a pretty big chunk of riverfront land for $135,000 (in the ballpark of what FreeRider was asking for his land on a per-acre basis ;)) . I'm also in Estell Manor in the R-5 zone, and most of my land is protected wetlands/buffers that can't be cleared or built on. There must be some building restrictions on this property or I'd expect it to cost more. Would be a shame to see a McMansion built there.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.424375835472595&lng=-74.73938941955566&z=16&type=nj2007&gpx=