Across Long Causeway And Beyond!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today the both of us explored on the east side of Long Causeway looking for property monuments and anything else we could find.

DSC_2680a.jpg

DSC_2684a.jpg

Found a few monuments along the state and NJCF property line.

DSC_2653a.jpg

Deep in the woods I noticed this wooden stake in the ground along the side of a path. Jessica noticed something written on it.

DSC_2666a.jpg

It says, "This is NJCF Property just so you know. Trail was trimmed by them. Thanks for not stealing my gear." And to be exact, they were wrong. It is clearly state property.

DSC_2667a.jpg

DSC_2668a.jpg

To get to much of the area we explored we needed to cross the Shreve Branch. In May of 1980 this map says the remains of a bridge was there.

bridge.jpg

Today, the remains are completely gone.

DSC_2654a.jpg

In 1931 there is a cleared area in the vicinity so I wanted to see what was there today. And 90 years later it is still cleared. The mystery as to why this may be has been debated here many times.

DSC_2659a.jpg

And on the way back Jessica saw this.
DSC_2685a.jpg

DSC_2688a.jpg

And finally, on our way home we noticed that this person had been a little too rough on their vehicle. It appears the ball joint broke. Taken with my dash cam.

truck.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
In 1931 there is a cleared area in the vicinity so I wanted to see what was there today. And 90 years later it is still cleared. The mystery as to why this may be has been debated here many times.

I'm sure many of us have seen similar in the Pines, I certainly have and wondered why. Is there a specific thread or threads where this was discussed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm sure many of us have seen similar in the Pines, I certainly have and wondered why. Is there a specific thread or threads where this was discussed?
I am uncertain if there is a specific thread, but one of the suggestions was charcoaling.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica saw this little one last week.

DSC_2648a.jpg

While taking photos of it she noticed this. There is also a little green bug right behind it's head.

DSC_2642a.jpg