Adams, Martha, Nash

Oct 25, 2006
All

Last Saturday i started out about 9:00 A.M. in the morning with the intention revisiting several sites that i have been to many times before, and also to sites that i have never visited.

Traveling in Rt.72 passing Lauries Road at 10:25 A.M. i then traveled to Rt.539 South towards Tuckerton, right before the entrance to the GSP South bound lane entrance i made a right hand turn on a sand road that had at one time a sign that said Munion Field.

I had the intent of looking for two NJ markers that Guy gave me the GPS coordinates for, after a 15 minute search for the first one i did not find it, there was a lot of foliage so i decided to leave and on skipping looking for the second one, i then went to look for a site depicted in an earlier thread by Boyd, a gun club on Oswego Road.

While traveling further West on Oswego Road i then noticed a very small opening through the trees on the South side of the road, exiting the Jeep i then noticed the following. I have never visited here before.
0612.jpg

Upon further exploration i then spotted the foundation of the Gun Club.
0621.jpg

Reentering the Jeep, i then traveled further West on Oswego Road to another place that i have always missed in my travels the Ellis Adams site mentioned by the Rev. Beck, the site has been picked clean by vandals, oh to see the chimney stack in Beck's days standing sentinel towards the sky.
[img]http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/695/medium/0631.jpg

I then found another smaller hole slightly West of the big cellar hole, was it a privy ?, a well ?.
0641.jpg

I searched across the road from the Adams site, a wide open field, where i believed the George Mick Homestead was, after a short search, no cellar hole was found, or any other fragments of prior Human habitation.

[img]http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/695/medium/0651.jpg
Reentering the Jeep, i then wanted to check out the Big Puddle at Calico, any takers ?, not me, on approach by foot, it was slippery, spongy, and the middle looked real deep, i almost fell on my butt.
0661.jpg

I then traveled to Martha to look for some slag, there were Mushrooms all over the Pines, on the Batona Trail, that i took from the Cutts Bogs to Martha, the tree that i mentioned on my last outing, was moved out of the way, i took a pic of what i call the pimple ball mushroom.
0682.jpg

Arriving at Martha, and while walking around the fence line, i found multicolored slag, there were plenty of areas along the fence that were pulled back for people to gain access, ridiculous.
0711.jpg

Outside of the fence area i found the following.
0691.jpg

I then left the area and on the way to the Pumping Station i found thanks to Guy the following NJ marker, it was laying in a flat position. The designation is NJ440BR.
0721.jpg

After viewing the marker i then left for the Pumping Station, arriving i took the following pic of the Station looking lenghtwise across the top.
0731.jpg

I then went to the Beach area to see how the water level was, here is a view of the Beach area.
0751.jpg

On the way back to the Jeep i then took a side view pic of the Pump House.
IMG_0688.JPG

I was now time to go to Nash's Cabin, upon arrival i took the following pic of the Cabin site.
0761.jpg

A pic of the Beaver Lodge.
0771.jpg

As a word of caution, from Martha to Buck Run on Old Martha Road, the Road is wide and very carable, past Buck Run to where you park to go to the Cabin site, it's wide, but soft and spongy.

Time now to leave and on the way back to Harrisville i searched for another NJ marker and after 10 minutes i did not find it.

Then arriving at Harrisville i turned right (North) on RT.679 and went to Friendship, taking a pic of the Alloways Monument.
0801.jpg

I then decided to visit another place that i have never been to before, the Pioneer Gun Club, passing along a wide field i then spotted the building. Upon closer inspection i saw GPS coordinates on the building.
0811.jpg

Across the Road from the Gun Club i saw the foundations of another structure that once stood there.
0821.jpg

Time now to call it a day, it was a great day to be in the Pines, a lack of people, minimal bugs, i heard some gun shots around Calico, and as always, cold Buds waiting for me at my friends house in Tabernacle.

Jim

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Nice pics, James. I think that cement block outhouse is also posted in Guy's thread on the elusive gun club.

Speaking of pulled-back fences, I noticed last Sat. that the door in the fence around the ruins at Harrisville has been kicked in. Couldn't resist stepping inside and looking around, but then I felt guilty and skedaddled.

Oct 25, 2006
Nice pics, James. I think that cement block outhouse is also posted in Guy's thread on the elusive gun club.

Speaking of pulled-back fences, I noticed last Sat. that the door in the fence around the ruins at Harrisville has been kicked in. Couldn't resist stepping inside and looking around, but then I felt guilty and skedaddled.

Thanks Mark, at Martha there were two sections of fence that were pulled back.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

I fixed one link that was not working. Sorry you did not find some of the monuments. Sometimes they are buried and you have to either look for clues or kick around the ground cover to find it. You did right by giving up since it is not worth taking up the rest of your day. Looks like you had an eventful day.

Guy

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Jim,
I enjoyed reading about your day in the pines very much!!! Thanks for posting it. I'm hoping to get out there soon, especially with the foliage changing. Should make for some nice photos.

Chris

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county

I, too, did the same thing a week or two ago. I noticed the fence and took a step or five in to get a better look at the ruins. It just did not feel right, so I got out of there quick.

Oct 25, 2006
Jim,

I fixed one link that was not working. Sorry you did not find some of the monuments. Sometimes they are buried and you have to either look for clues or kick around the ground cover to find it. You did right by giving up since it is not worth taking up the rest of your day. Looks like you had an eventful day.

Guy

Guy

Yeah i did some uncovering, i also looked for the signs you told me to look for, but i was limited in time due to the many places that i wanted to visit.

I seem to recall in a older thread that in the Pioneer area there is a Wharton Tract boundary, i looked for it but did not see it.

Jim