Adobe doubles Photography Plan price

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This one really fits the "Electronics Insanity" topic....

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/02/adobe-doubles-photography-plan-pricing/

"Adobe today quietly debuted new pricing for its Photography bundle, which has long been available for $9.99 per month. Starting today, Adobe's website is listing a price tag of $19.99 per month, which is double the previous price."
- - - - - - - - -
"The new plan does offer 1TB of storage instead of 20GB of storage, but for those who do not use Adobe storage, the new pricing doubles the cost with no added benefit."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm just so used to Photoshop, it would be a pain to switch. I'm still on Photoshop CS3, believe it or not. I should probably upgrade, but this has been an expensive year for software (with the new website). CS3 still runs on my Mac, but it crashes sometimes, and recently has even been taking down the whole computer (unusual for a Mac).

I was in the same boat with MS Office, but subscribed to Office 365 last year, and it's a surprisingly good deal. I think I pay $100/year... but that plan includes 4 additional licenses that I can give to anyone (not just family members). Each person can be logged into 5 different devices and has their own 1TB of storage on OneDrive.

So.... MS gives me Word, Excel and Powerpoint for 5 users plus 5TB of storage for $100/year but Adobe wants $240/yr just for photoshop and 100gb of storage for one person (according to this: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html?red=a). That makes it worth continuing to put up with the bugs in my old copy of CS 3. :rolleyes:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That makes it worth continuing to put up with the bugs in my old copy of CS 3.

No reason not to do that, unless you get a new camera that is not supported or need a feature that's in an upgrade or it won't function due to a system upgrade. I still occasionally use an unsupported version of Adobe's Lightroom, but most is done with the new editor I've mentioned; cheaper, easier and faster.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This gets even better. After doubling the price, now they are sending letters warning of possible legal action to people who continue using the old version. :siren:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/13/adobe-creative-cloud-legal-action-older-apps/

Adobe today started sending out warning emails to customers who are using older versions of Creative Cloud apps, letting them know those older versions are no longer licensed. "Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties," warns the email.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
OK, I am not great with computers. If its not internet based. Once you download the software, how do they know you are still using it? I realize there is a licensing agreement but does the program stop working once past the date? How would they enforce it?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Apparently it still works, or they wouldn't be threatening you. ;) But with these cloud-based apps, I think the company has a lot of control. Don't know about Adobe, but with MS Office, you are forced to connect to their servers at least once a month to authorize the software. That is how they confirm that you still have an active subscription.

But evidently this is what that warning is about...

Adobe is in the midst of a lawsuit with Dolby and has accused Adobe of copyright infringement and breach of contract, which could be the reason why past versions of Creative Cloud apps are now restricted.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
After doubling the price, now they are sending letters warning of possible legal action to people who continue using the old version. :siren:

I have been using an old version of LightRoom for years,version 5.7. Never an issue, as it is land based and not in the clouds, I avoid clouds as sometimes they emit thunder and lightning ;) I have the install files for version 5.7 Windows 64 bit version should anyone need it .