Adventure on the Mullica

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

At 8AM this morning 5 members of PBX headed out for a day of adventure on the Mighty Mullica. Below are a few photo’s of the day.

Here is Steve (Behr655) relaxing in his kayak.

IMG_9478.JPG

Jeff (Woodjin) and Gabe (Pinelandpaddler) are back there somewhere.

IMG_9479.JPG

Bob has his flower gear out and is inspecting one specimen, while Steve checks out the Beaver den in the rear.

IMG_9480.JPG

Another specimen

IMG_9507.JPG

Bob .... What the heck are you doing!

IMG_9483.JPG

If you haven’t been to Lock’s Bridge in a while, it has collapsed.

IMG_9489.JPG

One of the longest savannahs you will ever see.

IMG_9502.JPG

Since we are hearing it is illegal to hold turtles, we decided to hide the face of the person holding this one. So Jeff dove underwater so I could get this shot :)

IMG_9517.JPG

A blurry closer look. You can’t prove that is my hand .... no way!

IMG_9518.JPG

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
An old iron stained spotted. A old male it looks like with some battle wounds. About how deep was that water were he was, looks deep?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was. Jeff did some long term explorations by diving down and also by holding a paddle down. He estimated at one location in that area it was 15 feet deep.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice photos Guy, very nice, especially the Lophiola. I just woke up a half hour ago (asleep since 6:00) and am going to bed again soon.

I really had a great time today. Perfect weather, perfect river, and good friends. Can you beat that?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A couple more photos. The first one shows guy with his back to my camera. Look closely to his right and you can see Steve and Gabe far down the savannah. The next photo is the best I could do to capture them with 4 times zoom.

BACKGUYONE.JPG

ZOOMONE.JPG

Side shot of the savanna.....

SAVONE.JPG

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
What a great trip!
Beaver pond

watermark.php

Taking a break near locks bridge

watermark.php

One of the many sandy banks along the river

watermark.php

Somebody holding yet a spotted turtle

watermark.php

An old and huge iron ore mining pond

watermark.php

The most beautiful example of a common watersnake I have ever seen. Must have been a recent shed

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wow!

You are right Jeff, I have never seen one so vibrant. I must have been asleep going by that one. It may not have been there; how could 3 of us not see it? You were, what, 30 minutes behind us at that point.

PS: it would be fun to digitally kick up the colors a notch in your edit program. Throw in some red!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think we would have noticed that. At least I hope so :(

Great shots Jeff!

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The cedar water has a tendency to really bring out reds and yellows. If you ever see painted and redbelly turtles in the water they are absolutely gorgeous compared to other water habitats. The cedar water keeps things very clean and when these things go under things to hide it is normally pine needles and moss vs. mud and dirt.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Excellent time we had out there. That savannah was something else. I'm still in shock at how deep the water was in some of those spots. The Mullica has her share of mysteries.....

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I think he was out sunning himself for a while. I saw someone else in a kayak and Gabe go right past him without seeing him (and Gabe is very observant) I think the fact he was perfectly still made him easy to miss.

Jeff

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Never seen eastern redcedars so tall! Nice photos, though it must've been hot there. How were the pine flies and ticks?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Never seen eastern redcedars so tall! Nice photos, though it must've been hot there. How were the pine flies and ticks?

I was not bothered by flies and I don't remember anyone else saying anything. I did find a very small tick on me this morning just as I sat down at the computer after getting up. It was walking so I guess it was waiting by my computer for me knowing I would be there eventually :)

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
The fine photos and trip reports have me itching for another Mullica trip.

The last time I was on the Mullica was under a full moon, though that night I exclusively explored the beaver pond section above Lock's Bridge (I didn't know this bridge had a name until reading this thread). I'd always wanted to kayak these meadows under moonlight. Beavers were splashing their tails everywhere that night; and believe me when I say that there's nothing that tests the ticker like a sudden and very-nearby tail-WHOMP interrupting total serenity in near darkness. :)

The Mullica is a treasure. Thanks for sharing the photos.