After The Snow Is Gone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

With the quick removal of the snow by the rain, today was a perfect opertunity to stone search for a few stones I have been wanting to find. Unfortuantly, we found the water in some places to be quite high, but with a few detours, and passing on one location, we had a pretty good day. Our first stop was again to the Pine Crest Gun Club to narrow down the Friendship Bogs line in that area. With the acquisition of some recent info I was able to figure out where I went wrong in the past. At our first location we found the spot using some clues, but the stone and monument were gone. It is right along a road near the JCRR and that usually ends poorly. Then to the second location where I was surprised to find the stone is still there. This is about 160 feet off the road.

IMG_3539.JPG

Next, Jessica found the corner of their property and the Friendship Bogs line. It is NJ 83-5T, surveyed again in 1983 hence the 83.

IMG_3542.JPG

The Parker Preserve line was nearby and I was hoping the stone at that corner was still there, and again Jessica found it. The stone in the front with a pipe and concrete block around it.

IMG_3544.JPG

It was really weird that when we returned to our car a vehicle was coming upon us, and up pulled two men asking me if I was still looking for history. I did not recognise them at first, and when I did it turns out that these same two me approached Jessica and I a year or more ago at the very same spot. The one man's ancestors lived at Martha and Harrisville and he has photo of them at Harrisville when they did. I have talked to him on the phone but have not yet had a chance to see the photo's.

Next we headed over to a recent purchase by the state on 532 near Woodjins house. I knew there were a few stones there but was surprised when Jessica AGAIN found the first one and we noticed it was incised. The initials are RWH. Sorry for the glare in the photo's.

IMG_3546.JPG

Closer view of the H.

IMG_3547.JPG

RW

IMG_3548.JPG

Then to the next stone that Jessica AGAIN found. She is annoying me!!!!!! This one is WYSIWYG. It is flat on the bottom and can be carried with a few fingers.

IMG_3550.JPG

A view of the pond nearby.

IMG_3551.JPG

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
then come the floods.....

Guy, Good thing you were "up" river. The Batsto and Mullica are way high and the swamps are running! I had just started out and got these few pics. I was on my way back around behind the Batsto church when my rechargable camera battery finally died for good :mad: I'll try to return tomorrow. I was hoping to make it much further back.

Pleasant Mills canoe launch road from Route 542

101_4673_2_.JPG

Mullica River with cemetery behind it through the trees. Saw some old-timers who said it's only been this high 2-3 times in the last 75+ years....

101_4678_2_.JPG

Across Rt. 542 from the canoe launch entrance. BTW, the bald cypress are enjoying themselves.....

101_4675_2_.JPG

Gauging station on the Batsto River....

101_4684_2_.JPG

The closed bridge behind the Batsto church. The water was up to the edge of the bridge and the back 1/2 is submerged.

101_4688_2_.JPG

Turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Turtle,

It looks wet. It was not that bad where I was, but i did see a few places along the main roads where the water under the bridges were very high. Sorry about your batteries. I would have loved to see more.

Guy

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
Most water I have seen in a long time. Went all over, from Pasadena to Atsion. Had to turn around a few times today. Better safe than sorry.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is only the second time in 27 years that I've seen the water this high.

Bamber dam south
watermark.php

Bamber dam north
watermark.php

Cedar Creek (downright dangerous)
watermark.php

Bonus mystery photo from today
watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That water at Bamber lake is from when they released the beaver dam at Black's Bridge :D

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
In the center of this picture is a beaver struggling against the swift current of the North Branch of the Rancocas.054.jpg

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Wow, all of these pictures are amazing. That's some serious high water. I was debating taking a ride through the pines... I guess it's a good thing I chose to stay on high ground. lol. Thanks for sharing.

scouter

Dec 28, 2009
There was a pretty cool miniature whirlpool right before Grace Bible Baptist Church on Quaker Bridge Rd. that I managed to grab a shot of.

picture.php

picture.php

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
On Sunday morning we headed down Carranza Road. The water at the bridge at Hampton Gate was trying to run over the road way, today it's down consideribly. I've only seen it worse after the 1000 year flood. Yesterday we went to hike Push Line via Tuckerton Road from High Crossing, lots of deep ponds but I knew the bottoms to be good. We tried to leave via Quaker Bridge but when I was on the bridge looking west we turned around. Today we tried to get to Hampton Furnace from Carranza Road but it is flooded and frozen. It could be done as it is not too deep but we wanted to walk dry.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was taking the muzzleloader for a walk down Goodwater Run Road around the Quaker Bridge area today.
There is a washout on the west side of the bridge that has a truck swallower scour hole in it where the river breached the road a few days ago.

I had my son's woods beater truck but I opted to park on the west side and hoof it. The hole looks harmless but it would sink and hold any stocker if you hit it stright on.
The caution tape was ripped down and I fell sorry for the next victim. Caution tape was tied on the east side of the bridge but that was ripped down when I left around 2:00 p.m.

If you hug the south edge of the road you will make it just fine. If you stay centered, your engine will quickly be blowing orange mud bubbles.
I poked the hole with a stick and it has a soft sand bottom with a 3' water depth.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did your muzzleloader get away from you on the walk :D Chase any vermin?

Guy