Ahi Tuna

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a couple steaks in the freezer that were well past the due date, so I had a mind to take them out this morning to a clearing in Greenwood Forest to see what tracks they'd raise. I do weird stuff like this sometimes.

Anyway, I parked about a mile from Bamber's lonliest house and proceeded into the woods. I got about 30 yards in when the fire siren went off on Lacey Road, which was about 3/4 mile from where I was. I heard it loud and clear of course.

But then I heard something else. I heard about a half-dozen young girls....teenagers sounded like....squealing and crying about 400 yards further into the woods, over by the creek. What the hell? I started running in that direction. It can't be on Christmas morning. I was afraid someone was getting raped or killed.

As I ran, the sounds of the girls got lower, and some of them started howling and moaning. My God, I thought, what is going on?

Then it hit me, they were a pack of coyotes chiming in to show the fire siren who was boss. I am probably overestimating, but it sounded like 8 to 10 of them. They stopped when the siren was off for about 30 seconds.

Very interesting. Makes me a little leery. Anyway, I went and laid the tuna down and swept the area for a 3 foot circle, and we'll see what tomorrow brings. I hope I can make the tracks out.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is pretty cool Bob. Them yotes make some awfully errie sounds. My brother in law hunts in whiting once a year. He claims the deer populations are down and blames it on the coyotes. I don't know if this true, that the coyotes have had that significant an impact on the deer. It might just be an incorrect conclusion drawn from a natural down turn in the deer population.

It could be bad news for the coyote if this is the mind set of most hunters. Then there is the argument that coyotes are hunting for survival and hunters are hunting for recreation or/ that coyotes are not native and therefore should be given little consideration in this conflict. Although coyote have been in the pines much longer than most expect.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Remember those 2 dead coyotes I found a couple years ago? This pack was less than a 1/4 mile from that spot, so this population is robust.

By the way, the tuna was taken without a track showing. I made a crucial and stupid mistake. Although I swept the area clean beforehand, the ground was hard, so tracks would not have set anyway...Duh!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
rake it real good with a hard rake.that'll soften it up for tracks.of course if the ground freezes overnight your still trackless.if you spread totally dry sand over it it won't freeze as long as theirs no water in it.of course dry sand doesn't leave the cleanest tracks either.wet sand is better but of course it freezes.
Al

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sprinkle the entire area with flour or powdered sugar.
This has worked flawlessly every year in capturing Easter Bunny tracks on the table where we leave the carrots and cookies.
My kids are always impressed with the results and perhaps so will you be.
Might could work Bob.

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sprinkle the entire area with flour or powdered sugar.g.

Hmmm.....food for thought. Seriously, thanks I'll try it.

Al, I was also thinking of finding a clay bed area and dampening it really good, but I'd have to ensure it won't freeze that night.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hmmm.....food for thought. Seriously, thanks I'll try it.

Al, I was also thinking of finding a clay bed area and dampening it really good, but I'd have to ensure it won't freeze that night.

We should go together on a camera Bob.

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
just a warning. if you do get a trail camera get one that they make a steel security cover case for. my digital trail camera was stolen in 2 days after leaving it out in greenwood this past november. moultrie makes a good one . there top of the line model also features a code that has to be entered to turn it on.with that model at least if someone steals it they can never use it. moultrie also keeps serial numbers on file so that if a stolen camera gets sent in for repair you will get it back.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
just a warning. if you do get a trail camera get one that they make a steel security cover case for. my digital trail camera was stolen in 2 days after leaving it out in greenwood this past november. moultrie makes a good one . there top of the line model also features a code that has to be entered to turn it on.with that model at least if someone steals it they can never use it. moultrie also keeps serial numbers on file so that if a stolen camera gets sent in for repair you will get it back.

I don't know whats worse, getting it stolen, or reviewing the contents and seeing someones butt backed up against it.

Anyway....two days and it was stolen? That is pretty amazing since Greenwood is so large and remote. There is an area across from the VFW and Firehouse though, that has been turning into an ATV park for locals and out of towners. Did you have it there Foofoo?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
or reviewing the contents and seeing someones butt backed up against it.

Ahhhh, that would never happen:rolleyes: I have had trouble getting a shot from mine. It works great when I test it, and I have gotten pictures (mostly of deer) but recently I have been setting it out at a spot and baiting it with meat. The meat is gone everytime and I never get a clear shot. I have mounted it low and have even secured the meat so the animal will have to move around alot to get a hold of it. Nothing.

It has become a challange for me to capture this thing on film. Maybe it is the same animal that doesn't leave tracks for you. Perhaps the Jersey Devil is up to his old tricks again.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I've found that things like rabbits and squirrels won't trigger the cameras. I've tried to capture snakes on my camera and have dragged things in front of it to see if it triggers....all to no avail.

If your a decent woodworker you can build a fake bird box to place your camera in. That way no one will disturb it. I currently using two locks on mine, and secure it pretty good. I've had it out in wharton, cumberland county and bass river and nobody has ever disturbed it. I just purchased two more of these a few days ago to watch some of my pine snake dens. If you do buy one don't get the ones Dick's Sporting Goods sells....their garbage. The moultrie spycams are good, I have a few of these,
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...t20098&parentType=index&indexId=cat20098&rid=