Albert Brother's Homeplace

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM,

I stumbled onto the FRMC website and came to a year 2000 webpage, mentioning that you were elected to a two year term as a Board of Trustee. Also on that page it mentioned the tour of the mountains, and that included a visit to the historic Albert Brother's Homeplace. Is that in the woods near FRM, and who was he or who were they?

"Persons attending a tour will be able to see spectacular views of the surrounding Pine Barrens. Included, as part of the tour will be a visit to the site of the historic Albert Brother's Homeplace."

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Albert Brothers`

Guy, the Albert Brothers's homeplace was southwest of the mountains closer to route 532. It was were they played their music.

I was there in 1977 (?). We drove up around 10 pm, and after making our way thru the crowd both outside and inside, we came into a kerosene lit (I think) kitchen where about 6 piney's were sitting around the table playing authentic pine barren bluegrass music. It was quite a scene. The clothing and everything was authentic, they even had deer browsing out back.

I never went back, here is why;

There were about 60 to 70 young people in and around the place (some stoned, some drinking heavy), I had this premonition that we really did not belong there, and in order to do my part in preserving this culture, I could not in good conscious go back. You see, it was becoming like a fishbowl.

I know, pretty dramatic on my part, but they did not last much longer after that, and I think the notoriety may have had something to do with it.

B

BarryC

TeeGate said:
BobM,

Albert Brother's Homeplace. Is that in the woods near FRM, and who was he or who were they?

Guy

After all this time of me asking for people to go to Albert Music Hall, and providing a link to it's website each time I ask, you don't know who the Albert brothers were? :shock: :) Just kidding, but the Albert Music Hall in Waretown traces its roots back to the Albert brothers and their "homeplace". It was Joe Albert, but I can't remember his brother's name.
Their Saturday evening jam sessions turned into public, or semi-public concerts, but then, if I remember correctly, the homeplace burned down and they started having their concerts in a school in Waretown (The Frederic A. Priff Elementary School). That lasted for many years. Now they have their very own music hall. Incidently, I believe alcoholic beverages are not permitted there.
http://www.alberthall.org/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Barry,

I just realized that they were one and the same. The Albert should have clued me in.

Guy

J

JeffD

Ahhhhh yes, seems we've been here before.

Thanks for reminding me about Albert Music Hall, Barry. When you first posted about it on PBE, I thought about visiting it sometime. Maybe some Saturday night I'll stop by. Now I know my way around that neck of the woods better.

You're right, Barry, there are no alchoholic beverages at Albert Music Hall. I don't drink but I'm not offended by folks who drink... in moderation. I just have a problem with loud, obnoxious drunks who act like jackals. Albert Music Hall is also a non-smoking establishment, which suits me fine. Cigarette smoke really bothers me and aggrevates my sinus/allergy problems, even when I'm downwind outside and just get a wiff of it. Cigars and pipes don't bother me as much. I really think they must be putting chemicals in cigarettes. Either that or my condition is such that it bothers me more or I'm affected more by it because for the past few years I haven't been around it as much as I have in the past.