All I can say is WOW

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Newbie here.

I can hardly believe there are others that share the same interest I have in the Pine Barrens :lol:

This, by far, is the best site I've seen on the net regarding the Pines.

I hope to meet many of you and hopefully, I can join you in your excursions to some of the towns I've only been able to read about. I still can't find most of them and am a little jealous that you folks were able to :wink:

So, had did you folks get interested in this subject? I owe it all to Beck. I have read every one of his books except the one about Northern NJ, which is where I'm from. You see, there's nothing to discover up here except in my parts of the woods in Sussex County and even then, I don't think our history compares to Southern NJ.

Regards,

Ken (who thinks he lived in the pine barrens in a past life)

B

BarryC

Hey Ken!
I just got notification that you joined my group. Thanks for joining. Glad you share an interest in the Pine Barrens.
Mine started with Beck. But I've always liked to go out in the woods. When we moved here from North Jersey (western Morris County) in 1985, I started exploring right away. I can't remember when I got Beck's books, but once I read them I had to go find the places he talked about. There are still plenty of places I've never been to, and plenty of places I've looked for but couldn't find.
When you get the chance, check out the links section and photo section in my Yahoo group and see what there is to see. If you have any links to add, feel free. New ones turn up once in a while.
Take care,
Barry

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Mine started with Beck as well. I also have not read "Tales and Towns of Northern New Jersey" although North Jersey does play an important part in the history of the state - even for South Jersey.

Any way that you look at it, New Jersey is filled with wonderful history, and I'm glad to be able to have a place on the internet where other enthusiasts can come together and talk about it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
njvike said:
Newbie here.

I can hardly believe there are others that share the same interest I have in the Pine Barrens :lol:

This, by far, is the best site I've seen on the net regarding the Pines.

I hope to meet many of you and hopefully, I can join you in your excursions to some of the towns I've only been able to read about. I still can't find most of them and am a little jealous that you folks were able to :wink:

So, had did you folks get interested in this subject? I owe it all to Beck. I have read every one of his books except the one about Northern NJ, which is where I'm from. You see, there's nothing to discover up here except in my parts of the woods in Sussex County and even then, I don't think our history compares to Southern NJ.

Regards,

Ken (who thinks he lived in the pine barrens in a past life)

You have a hike to get down here!

We usually have quite a few outings in the early and late fall so keep your eye out for them. The reason you may not have found some or many of the places Beck mentions is because the area's are different than when he was there, and because we have found that Beck had his problems with accuracy. And when one person we know said that Beck was a storyteller not an historian, we have found that he has been proven right many times. So Beck has brought these places to light, but use your own intuition to find them.

Your best bet is to download some of Ben's maps and study them before you come. Compare them to topozone.com and you have a better chance. If there is any general place you are interested in post a message, and many of the general places we will show you or give you the GPS coordinates. But the more obscure places we usually leave to the individual to find on their own which I feel is part of the fun.

Keep posting!

Guy