Along The Albertson Branch

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We went stone hunting along the Albertson Branch today and pretty much came up empty. We only found a Wharton monument.

DSC_2888a.jpg

The woods are nice in a few spots, but for the most part it is pretty dense.

DSC_2900a.jpg

The creature comforts are nice!

DSC_2901a.jpg

This did not come out as focused as I hoped. I blame my progressive lenses. It is so hard to focus without looking through a camera. In any event, you can see the spider making it's web.

DSC_2904a.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Is that a black gum growing out of a cedar stump ? It looks like it might still be a live but was stripped of its bark, possibly used a buck rub ???

You should have yelled, we would have heard you today. We were walking the swamp road along the Albertson in my little oasis today with my grandson.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is that a black gum growing out of a cedar stump ? It looks like it might still be a live but was stripped of its bark, possibly used a buck rub ???

You should have yelled, we would have heard you today. We were walking the swamp road along the Albertson in my little oasis today with my grandson.
The one with the sawmill? We were there twice today. We walked in from 206, walked past the sawmill all the way to the farm. Then cut across the recently burned area and hit the road and walked all the way down that long straight road to the point. Then right and right again all the way down to the swamp. Then back to the point, back to the sawmill, and all the way to 206. We walked 10,000 steps.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The one with the sawmill? We were there twice today. We walked in from 206, walked past the sawmill all the way to the farm. Then cut across the recently burned area and hit the road and walked all the way down that long straight road to the point. Then right and right again all the way down to the swamp. Then back to the point, back to the sawmill, and all the way to 206. We walked 10,000 steps.
No we were in the upper reaches across the road from my house. My wife and I were both chigged really good two weeks ago and we didn’t want to get our grandson his first dose. :)
We walked the roads only downstream from the bogs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No we were in the upper reaches across the road from my house. My wife and I were both chigged really good two weeks ago and we didn’t want to get our grandson his first dose. :)
We walked the roads only downstream from the bogs.
Okay.

Yes, the chigger ticks are really bad there. We had them within minutes after starting to walk the road and we sprayed. Then a half hour later while crossing the recently burned area we had them all over us. We had to take off our boots and spray in there. We kept all of our gear in the far back of my car when we drove home. I think I get most of my bites on the ride to work on Monday morning.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Okay.

Yes, the chigger ticks are really bad there. We had them within minutes after starting to walk the road and we sprayed. Then a half hour later while crossing the recently burned area we had them all over us. We had to take off our boots and spray in there. We kept all of our gear in the far back of my car when we drove home. I think I get most of my bites on the ride to work on Monday morning.
The worst chigger infestation I ever experienced was right where you were. We went there to run Murphy one fall day. We cut him loose and he ranged ahead of us for a few minutes and when he came back his normally white chest was red with chiggers. He looked like he was sprayed lightly with reddish brown paint. We checked our legs and we were crawling with them as well. We loaded him up, wrapped him in a towel and sped home.

We bathed him in a tick shampoo and we used reversed duck tape wrapped around our hands and blotted them off of our legs. We had only a few bites as I recall.

Come on frost !!

• Wow
Reactions: MuckSavage and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The ticks fade away this time of year somewhat but the chiggers are taking their place.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I have never gotten chiggers after October 15th. Your results may vary.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
If I do get chiggers after October 15th I will just blame it on climate change.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Everyone knows to say chiggers even if they are not.

Reactions: Boyd