Along The Batsto

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Back on Thursday, I hiked downstream along the banks of the Batsto River on the right side starting near the railroad bridge. I mainly wanted to check out the old growth cedars along its banks. In one area, I came upon several large ones. Measuring 4 1/2 feet up from the ground, I measured the circumstance on two cedars at 7 feet. These were very large and tall. By these sizes, an 11 footer is huge. Looking at my pictures. they don't give justice to their size and height. It appears that the old growth expands all along the Batsto. I continued further downstream for a while, but decided to turn around since I was further then what I told my wife I was going. I leave waypoints at home of my predetermined path. Another trip is in the plans to get to an old ore bed.

At the turn around, I wanted to check out the area further away from the river. I came upon a very unique structure. (see pic below) It doesn't look like it's currently in use. Lashings were used to tie some logs together, but they certainly weren't Boy Scouts.

With many stumps, one can notice that logging had taken place all along the river at on time. I came upon what appears to be a small manmade lagoon. You can see a slight slope carved out from the ground leading to the lagoon. That might be where lumber was loaded onto boats.

One side note: As I noted on a previous post, I took a picture of a plant in cedar swamps that I could not identify. With the help from Bob, it was identified as Partridge-berry. It is only supposed to be found occasionally. Well, since then, I've found it in 10 places. It is present in this area. I thought this was a first time find, however, recently looking at my pictures from 2010, my first year exploring the pines, I noticed I had taken a picture of the plant that I never was able to ID until now. Well it took 8 years to ID it.
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4443.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4457.JPG
IMG_4467.JPG
IMG_4480.JPG
IMG_4481.JPG

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
On second thought of hauling logs downstream. I had noticed a faint image of an old road running parallel to the river south of the RR tracks, and one going directly toward the cedars. You can only see them at this time of the years, They could have been used for hauling lumber. Also there could have been a saw mill in the area.

As for the picture of the split in the cedar; that split was still attached to the tree at both ends. I guess the tree is having some stress.

The first two pictures on this post is the lagoon noted on the original. There was another lagoon, the third picture. And a couple more to add in.
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG