Alquatka Branch, a PBX Hike

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sorry to come in so late.
Kinda wanted to see everyone's photo offerings first.
Fanastic guys!! As usual you do not disappoint.
The many views through the cameras tell me you all looked at wonderful things and collectively put a good portrait together.
Hiking, slogging in water, bushwacking, climbing, that had to be in the 9's.
You are all die hards for sure. This one was a gift. Thanks all.

Looks like Paul's holding a lightsaber in that cedar grove shot.
It is evident the Pines have wonderful healing powers in that a man was apparently killed and then got up & walked out just fine.
Scott,
That is a mean Sass but there is one back here that at least can give it a run.

g.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Actually he was. We neglected to mention that Paul, in addition to being a top notch hiker, is also a Jedi Knight.

The force was with us all on Saturday. The sights were spectacular. Of all the places we have marked to return for further exploration, this area warrants a return.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

One thing I believe we did not mention is Jeff lost his GPS on this hike. Without going into detail I did not in my opinion adequately help him look for it at the time, so I asked him the day after the hike if he wanted to go back and give it another shot. He agreed, and today at 5PM we hooked up to do just that. We had a general idea where we felt he had lost it, and after traveling a few miles we arrived in the area. Jeff is quite good at retracing his steps and within 15 minutes he had found it. Quite wet and the battery terminals were starting to rust, but it looks like it should still work when it dries out.

Found it here for those of you from PBX who were there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.80...671&spn=0.025418,0.043688&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr

Because of our quick retrieval we had some time to roam around the power lines nearby and actually were at the location of the ATV damage when three ATV’s and another ATV type vehicle arrived. They did not technically drive in the savanna and only one made it as far as we were. The rest could have but didn’t. We learned from one of them that it was their first time there, so they are not the ones riding in the savanna. They seemed quite interested on why we were there, and how we got there, and we told them we walked.

Anyway, we found another Green Acres monument right on the power line path.

IMG_0743.JPG

This stops most vehicles from traveling down the power lines.

IMG_0745.JPG

Trash

IMG_0747.JPG

State property monument.

IMG_0749.JPG

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A big thanks is in order on my part to Guy for accompaning me to hunt down the wayward GPS. I found a very cool racoon skull (actually the whole skeleton) on the way out. and we may have found another saw mill as well, but that remains unconfirmed.

We spoke briefly to the ATV riders. I was kicking myself later for not asking them to stay off the savanna. I don't believe they were the ones who did the damage and I believe they were leaving the area after us (saw them as we were going) but it wouldn't have hurt to have said something. It just didn't occur to me at the time. I would have said something in a completely unconfrontational way, and I wish I had. They seemed friendly enough and a little polite education on the frality of the wetlands might have been beneficial. I will have to be more aware of these opportunities as they arrive in the future.

Thanks again Guy.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
(saw them as we were going)

Jeff

Where did you see them?

I know I would have wanted help finding my GPS if I lost it, and because I was late finding out I didn't help much. I just had to go back. Glad you were able to find it.

BTW, did it work :)

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes it still works. A little contact cleaner and elbow grease on the terminals and it is fine. Just before we turned back into the woods from the powerlines I saw them back on our side of the first large puddle. I assumed you saw them also but I didn't comment on it at the time.

Jeff

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Sassafras Record

According to the publication from NJDEP, Summer 1991, "New Jersey's Biggest Trees", by Porcella and Pierson, the Sassafras record circumference is a WHOPPING 17'0"!!!! It can be seen on the Mt. Laurel Quaker Meeting House grounds, Mt. Laurel, Burlington County.Now THAT is a photo I would like to see...but yours is nice too!

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The Sassafras tree in Mt. Laurel is also the second largest in the country. The largest is in Owensboro,Ky. and is 21' around. In 1957 it was slated to be removed for a highway widening project but the woman who owned the property held off the bulldozers with a shotgun andit was saved!

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
The Sassafras tree in Mt. Laurel is also the second largest in the country. The largest is in Owensboro,Ky. and is 21' around. In 1957 it was slated to be removed for a highway widening project but the woman who owned the property held off the bulldozers with a shotgun andit was saved!

Having lived in that end of KY for seven years, I'm surprised the old girl didn't kill a dozer! They take their property rights very seriously down there.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You can view them at the below link in the gallery. One is dead so I am not sure that counts. But the Sassafras is big so Scott appears to not have a record.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM35PH

Guy

Well I ain't Archimedes by no means but the Mt. Laurel tree, having a circumfrence of 17', gives it a diameter of 5.41'
Our Aquatka specimen is a mere seedling by comparison.
I didn't post about it but this week, while out on a boundary survey in Gibbsboro, I found a sassafras on an abanodoned homestead that was about 40" in diameter at the base and split into two trunks that were both larger than the one we saw on the Alquatka.
The homestead had some history dating to 1889 and the tree was probably untouched since then, being only 40' from the cellarhole of the original dwelling. It was probably part of their front yard view for many years.