Alternative to pepper spray

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Read about this, seems to be a good alternative to the spray and is legal in NJ. I like that it has a 5 round capacity and long range with a laser sight. Also a flashlight and it doesn't look like a weapon. And you do not have to hit the target, be it coyotes, dogs or whatever, for it to be effective. A smaller version would be nice. A bit on the pricey side, but...

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Returning from Yellowstone and within 10 miles of my cabin 2 hunters were attacked by a grizzly in Montana and the bear spray chased it of. Has a range of 60 feet and if it works on grizzlies, people should be real easy. Don’t know about the legality, but if in the pines you could always claim it’s for coyotes!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Maybe I missed it, but what makes you think this is legal to carry in NJ?

Checked with local LE, the 5 pellet ball capacity is less than 3/4 ounce, the max in NJ. But once it is delivered I will have it checked out at state troopers. You never know what new regs Mad Dog has passed. The company was also selling them at the AC Camping show.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Checked with local LE, the 5 pellet ball capacity is less than 3/4 ounce, the max in NJ. But once it is delivered I will have it checked out at state troopers. You never know what new regs Mad Dog has passed. The company was also selling them at the AC Camping show.

Check it out at State Troopers? Make sure you come away with any statutes they cite and read them yourself.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ

You may want to show a bit of discretion in taking it anywhere, until you're 100% sure. As you may or may not know, NJ is so strick on these type of things, you must be sure that you are within the legal bounds of the state and local jurisdictions.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
What kind of knife can you carry? I used to hear if the blade was longer then the breadth of your palm it was illegal.I"d say they would have to standardize that due to different size people.I do know double edged blades were illegal back in the 90's/found that out the hard way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What kind of knife can you carry?

There's a whole list of what is/is not legal. I think even the small Swiss army one I carry is illegal, as the way the law is written, they all could be considered illegal. The key phrase is 'without any explainable lawful purpose.' I read somewhere they tightened them up after 9/11.

Reactions: RednekF350
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
There's a whole list of what is/is not legal. I think even the small Swiss army one I carry is illegal, as the way the law is written, they all could be considered illegal. The key phrase is 'without any explainable lawful purpose.' I read somewhere they tightened them up after 9/11.

That's exactly my point. Technically, you must prove justifiable need, AT THAT TIME, in order to carry a knife in NJ. At any time you decide to use self-defense as a need, at a minimum, you will lose your item. If you have an officer that's trying to make a name for themself, you could be changed.

The likelihood of this occurring is low, but it's possible.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
What kind of knife can you carry? I used to hear if the blade was longer then the breadth of your palm it was illegal.I"d say they would have to standardize that due to different size people.I do know double edged blades were illegal back in the 90's/found that out the hard way.

The only blade length law in NJ is that you can't sell anything with a blade longer than 5" to a minor or something similar to that.

It's been quite a bit since I read it.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
One of many Google searches, but the general consensus as mentioned is vague at best. Apparently the burden of proof of why you have a knife is on you. Guilty until proven innocent. I always thought the legal blade length was 4", but I see it is 5" and only applies to minors, under 18.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

My current EDC knife is a Bench Made Mini-Griptillian. 3" blade with a thumb stud (no spring assist) which is legal in NJ for assisted opening.
I have been carrying a knife of some sort nearly every day of my life since the age of about 9, just like my father did.
I carry larger fixed blades for hunting and fishing purposes but I make sure I always have a valid reason for carrying the larger stuff. I have never been questioned on my various EDC's and I have had to temporarily sign it over a few times when entering County Courthouses or municipal buildings for work purposes.

I am really surprised at how many people today don't carry a knife. The people I work with and my family always say, "Ask Scott, he's always got a knife on him." when they have to open a box or cut something.