Amatol

B

bach2yoga

Today Ken, his twin boys Matthew and Steven, Barry, my kids and myself visited Amatol. We found the remains of the raceway, as well as the abandoned state trooper barracks which was the former raceway administrative building. We also explored the abandoned drive in movie theatre. Shortly after lunch Ken headed out, as the going was getting tight for his new Expedition. Barry and the kids and I continued on and explored Amatol the town. I took the map from the atlantic county college digital book that I posted the link to and superimposed it on the USGS topo, so we were able to find the town easily.

We followed the train a bit, since we knew that the town was built 2 miles from the plant and the workers road the train to work. There are no track remains, but we were able to roughly judge by the contour of the land. However, the tracks diverged from the trail off on an angle into briars and private property, and it was getting late, so we left that for another day.

Barry, I've made a guess as to where I think we may find the munitions plant. I took a pencil and compass (a geometry compass, not a magnetic) and drew a 2 mile radius to scale on the USGS map using Lincoln Square as my center point. That gave me the arc on which I believe we may expect to find the plant. From there I used an angle square to measure the angle of the railroad track from Lincoln square to the end of the shown railroad on the library book map. Provided that the map was drawn correctly, and that the railroad took a straight path, and that I didn't make any mistakes, I found a 4 degree angle. The point I marked on the munitions location topo in the album is the point where those two lines intersect.
http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php map in red is currently shown on topo

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php topo of amatol town

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php munitions plant??

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php clay pit: aerial photo

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php clay pit/areas with ruins on topo

What do you think?

Renee

B

BarryC

Renee,
As it turns out, while you were busy with those maps, I was finding maps and photos and adding them to my album as well. :D The maps and aerial photo I added tonight are on page 14 of my album.
The maps you made with the words on them are great. And you've given us an area to explore. Thanks.
And I enjoyed the time today.
Barry

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Renee,
As it turns out, while you were busy with those maps, I was finding maps and photos and adding them to my album as well. :D The maps and aerial photo I added tonight are on page 14 of my album.
The maps you made with the words on them are great. And you've given us an area to explore. Thanks.
And I enjoyed the time today.
Barry

Ha, ha! Even used some of the same maps, lol! :lol:
It is indeed a fascinating area, and deserves more exploration!!! The rest of the pics are in now too.

Ken, you mentioned seeing an album with a blue historical sign--it was Barry's album, I just saw it, and he has noted that the marker, unfortunately, is no longer now.

Renee

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Hey guys, sorry I bailed. but with those nasty branches hitting, I had no choice. Steven was VERY upset with me as he and Matthew wanted to continue. I'm very glad to see that they had a good time and it looks like I may have them hooked on exploring. I'm not really sure if they liked the exploring more than running with your guys but they had fun and that was important.

Since Steven was really upset and we were still close to Winslow Junction, I took them there to see the folks at the Southern Railroad of NJ. When we got there they were still restoring some of the engines. One of the guys explained to me that several of the passenger cars are all that remain of the Blue Comet and that they have applied for a grant from the Historical Society to help get them restored and into some museum. I don't know how true it it but I have no reason to doubt them.

We then proceeded to climb one of the hills were several o of the tracks meet and saw the old Winslow Station. Most of the restoration is complete and it really looks nice. We then went to the other bridge where NJ transit runs their line and just as we were heading down the hill, a commuter train passed. We climbed the hill as fast as we could to get some pictures but were too late.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you and Barry for including me in the trip. My sons are looking for the next one and we still may meet down at Weymouth. I also want to thank Barry for his offer for letting us ride in his struck but how many times can we ask for assistance? We are thinking of selling one of our older cars in search of a real truck that we can use to explore.

Jim, I'm sorry I couldn't get you in time for the trip as I didn't read your second message until it was too late.

Again, looking forward to seeing you guys next week. Now, I will look at all those pictures to see what I missed :(

Barry, any luck on finding any information on that movie theater or radio station?

Ken

B

bach2yoga

I sure do understand why you left! There is a pic of the kids in the race track album.
I know my kids really enjoyed your kids tagging too, it's great fun for them and it does get them hooked on exploring! You'd be surprised how much they learn just "running around". The kids were still talking today about the clay pits.
Barry, why don't you tell everyone about the radio station, since you figured it out? The kids thought I was nuts climbing (err...scaling...) that board, but then that explains why my kids are such climbers, lol! I'm not sure who climbed more deer stands today, me, Ben, or Kristen!
Jim, we will most assuredly revisit Amatol--there are lots of things to find, and we still need to ascertain the plant location! We'll keep you up on any trips, rest assured!
Renee

B

BarryC

Hey, I actually forgot to mention that when I responded earlier. I did a little searching, but now I forget the details of what I found. I'll post again when I've found it again.
I understand about leaving. Hope you find a more apropriate vehicle soon. And you're welcome, regarding asking you to ride with me. No problem.
njvike said:
Barry, any luck on finding any information on that movie theater or radio station?

Ken

B

BarryC

Okay. What I didn't mention about the abandoned drive-in that we checked out yesterday, was that there was lettering on the back of it, facing Route 30. (I had never noticed this lettering before.) After looking at it awhile I determined that it said "1580 Radio 1580" on the top line. and "WNJH" on the bottom line in gigantic letters. All this was badly faded and difficult to read.
So I did a little searching online and found that there was a radio station in Hammonton on 1580, which signed on in 1961 as WNJH (the letters NJ standing for New Jersey, and the letter H standing for Hammonton). Sometime in the 1970s the call letters changed to WRDI, and the station started simulcasting with WRDR FM (an Egg Harbor station).
On December 31, 1981, call letters were changed to WTYO and for a period of time, featured an Adult Contemporary format.
On March 25, 1991, call letters were changed again to WONZ and began to share some programming with WOND in Pleasantville.
Now, about the drive-in itself. The Drive-in Theater website lists a "Circus Drive-in" in Hammton and that's the only listing anywhere near here. So even though it's in Mullica Township, East of Hammonton, it's considered to be in Hammonton.

B

bach2yoga

I road with Barry quite a bit at first, Ken, he's always been very obliging. I got the jeep back in the early spring, before that I had to use the Buick Regal, and that's horrid in the woods. Even today Joe had to park the Buick by the road when he joined us.
Renee

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Barry,
There is a site called Driveins.com, it is a fun site to look at. It has info on current Drive Ins as well as the ones that have gone by the wayside. Renee, I look foward to the next time we all go romping thru the woods again, it's always more fun when there are other people around to share the moment with. Ken, my car is all healed and ready to go.
Jersey Jim