American Express system problems

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Tried to use my Amex card at Lowes this morning and it was declined twice, had to write a check. Called them right away and the automated system said to expect a long wait so I hung up. Made me wonder if it was a problem with their system...

Called back just now, and sure enough, they were having widespread problems this morning that caused good cards to be declined. The guy said everything is back to normal now. Anyone else get hit by this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a different card and did not have problems an hour ago.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It was an American Express computer problem, so it wouldn’t have affected other cards. Was back in Lowes this morning and it worked fine. The cashier said it happened to other people yesterday, she said a guy with a large “American Express Check” was very upset when it was declined. I wonder if that was a travellers check? Have not used one of those for 20 years - do they need to be approved online now?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder if that was a travellers check? Have not used one of those for 20 years - do they need to be approved online now?

Those things are harder to find than an honest politician. Tried to buy some, no bank I tried sold them, neither did the AAA store; all offered a prepaid piece of plastic.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I just went to their site and used the feature to find a location that sells travellers checks....

"Sorry, but we found no search results within 25 mi of your destination that can exchange Travelers Cheques for local currency."

Tried searching in a 50 mile radius and it found 4 banks I've never heard of. I think they have gone the way of VHS tapes. ;)

Reactions: dogg57 and 46er