An airport on Chew road????

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I noticed an interesting thing on a program that I use that downloads maps from terraserver. When I zoom in on the Chew road area where the tracks cross the road, everything looks normal. But when I zoom out it displays the word Rusnak with the number 65 next to it, and it shows an airport right there along Chew road between the county line and the JCRR tracks. That is where the cemetery we have talked about is.

Rusnak is a local land owner and the 65 I am not sure what it is, but there is a number 69 next to the Hammonton Airport on the map. But there also is a possibility that Rusnak had an airport or at least a runway in the cemetery area or that field right there next to it. So if so, where was it exactly?

Here is a screen shot of the map from my computer.Notice the airplane and the Rusnak.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/airport.jpg

Here it is on the terraserver website.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=15&x=81&y=686&z=18&w=1

The maps on terraserver are from 1950 or later because there is info on them that is from the 50's.

Any idea's?

Guy

Guy,

I suppose that at one time the owner had an air field there and may have pre-dated the Hammonton one. I did notice though that that topo is dated 1972. There is no evidence of an airport when you view the aerial photo of that area.

Steve

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Chew Road

Guy
The 65 is the approximate elevation( NGVD 1929 datum) of the intersection of Chew Road and Sandy Causeway. All USGS quads use the Mean Sea Level Datum of 1929 as their elevation reference.
When you are reading any USGS quad map there is typically an elevation indicated for most street and dirt road intersections.They are approximate and are a guide only.
Look at the RR and Chew on the Hammonton quad and you will see a 71. Look at Chew and 206 and you will see a 55.
As for an airfield on Chew, I've never heard anyone talk about it. I know several of the Rusnaks and have done some work for the one that lives at the RR crossing. Rusnak's purchased that piece in 1955. I will ask him if he or his relatives ever had an airfield on the other pieces.
Rusnaks have lived on both sides of the road in what was called Chuton (1885 map)
aka Chewtown for a lot of years.
I'll let you know.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sometimes they are slow in removing old data also, so that airport may have been from many years before. Maybe for crop dusting? I have a photo of one near Speedwell in action from the mid 70's when it was more popular.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Chew Road

RednekF350 said:
Guy
The 65 is the approximate elevation( NGVD 1929 datum) of the intersection of Chew Road and Sandy Causeway. All USGS quads use the Mean Sea Level Datum of 1929 as their elevation reference.
When you are reading any USGS quad map there is typically an elevation indicated for most street and dirt road intersections.They are approximate and are a guide only.
Look at the RR and Chew on the Hammonton quad and you will see a 71. Look at Chew and 206 and you will see a 55.
As for an airfield on Chew, I've never heard anyone talk about it. I know several of the Rusnaks and have done some work for the one that lives at the RR crossing. Rusnak's purchased that piece in 1955. I will ask him if he or his relatives ever had an airfield on the other pieces.
Rusnaks have lived on both sides of the road in what was called Chuton (1885 map)
aka Chewtown for a lot of years.
I'll let you know.
Scott

Thanks. I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

Guy

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
I checked with my father in law and he can’t remember ever seeing it used he said the only sign of it was the orange balls on the power lines.