An invasive species now has a new name to replace ethnic slur

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You are all being informed that from now on you are not to use the term "Gypsy Moth." That is no longer politically correct. The correct name is now Spongy Moth.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Instead of gypsy can we call them Tinker?
What a friggin' world. The Irish Travelers (Tinkers) are also Gypsies of a sort. Maybe they can apply to assign their name to the moth. The Irish wouldn't care, just another reason to raise a glass ! :)

I am also furious about Swedish Match, a world tobacco conglomerate who owns Pinkerton Tobacco, and their recent decision to remove the image of the Indian and the name "Red Man" from Red Man Chewing Tobacco. Their packages contained the slogan, "America's Best Chew" above the Indian and the "Red Man" label. Now it's just "America's Best" :mad:
I don't know if I am going to get mouth cancer or eyeglasses now.

• Angry
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yeah the Cleveland Indians have apparenlty changed their name.It's all nonsense.If I had the money I"d start a team called the Houston Honkeys and any race could be on the team.Or maybe the Krakov Crackers?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No skin off my nose. It is apparently an ethnic slur. Nothing wrong with cultural evolution IMO.
That's not a person, it's a moth. I don't think they mind.

In the news, it's said that "The name “spongy moth” was chosen because the egg masses look like rough-textured, brown sea sponges." That is also dumb to call the moth by the texture of their eggs. This whole thing is misguided in my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
From what I gather, most Romanis around the world embrace the term "gypsy." Most of the people complaining are likely the same sort of people that think terms like "blacklist" and "blackout" are racially insensitive.

• Love
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
So much I could say about this, but will refrain.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1646508372584.jpg
    FB_IMG_1646508372584.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 100