Animal traps in trails behind Waretown lake

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Anyone know what all of these traps or cages are for? Perhaps 40 or so, laid out 250ft apart or so. Ran into a baby skunk twice while running out there. Been there for 2 months or so.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mike:

Easily seen from the road?
Were they all empty?
Was there any food or water dishes in them?
Do they look attended?
How large were they, what would conveniently fit inside?
Was there anything else near them, like black plastic sheeting arranged upright to funnel animals to traps?
How did the trap work, a swinging door?

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Spoke to Ronald- Waretown is looking to put a road through the area- So they are looking to trap reptiles and amphibians to assess the wildlife in the area.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Yes they've been talking about connecting Wells Mills road near the lake with the Shop Rite shopping complex for a few years now. One such plan wanted to connect "Volunteer Way" with the road at light that connects with the Green Briar retirement community. (Green Briar blvd).

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
That road has been in the planning stages for years, it is suppose to alleviate the turning traffic from Rt 532 on to Rt 9 North. It would help me out greatly. It has been stalled for lack of funds, I hope that they can build it now.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The secret to dealing with the deer flies is to remember they hunt by movement and air currents.They do not hunt by scent like skeeters.So while your driving through the pines hitting branches with your side mirrors you are acquiring a horde of these flies you can see hovering sround your mirrors.Then when you stop and exit the vehicle they are ready for you.What you do is sit quietly with windows up for five minutes.The flies will eventually go away because there is no more movement.Helps if you turn the truck off.Then exit the truck very slowly.Now stand absolutely still and enjoy the Barrens.The first time you move your screwed.If you feel you must move to enjoy your visit then park next to dark cool swamp.Quicky head down into the cedars.The flies enjoy heat and sun.They do not like swamps.Now that you are in the swamp enjoy it for a couple of minutes.Thats how long it will take the skeeters to locate you by scent.Move as much as you want,it doesn't matter.They will find you even if you hold your breathe.carbon dioxide their homing gas leaks out your pores anyway.One word of encouragement.Full strength deet does discourage skeeters since it screws up your scent.Of course flies that don't hunt by scent will harass you no matter how much Deet you have on you.They do not like the taste so may not bite but they will be bouncing off your face and eyeballs anyway which can still drive you mad.

Reactions: bdaltonph and Boyd

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Waretown does not need more development- GreenBriar is more than taxing local resources and with any expansions it will bring more traffic, congestion, and more land sacrifice. The longest I've ever sat at the light on Rt 9 is about 1 minute. There's no need to create a "shortcut" to save a minute of travel at the sacrifice of what land is left. Plus there are a ton of homes available for sale in the area. See Barnegat to see what a zillion retirement communities has done to local resources.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Waretown does not need more development- GreenBriar is more than taxing local resources and with any expansions it will bring more traffic, congestion, and more land sacrifice. The longest I've ever sat at the light on Rt 9 is about 1 minute. There's no need to create a "shortcut" to save a minute of travel at the sacrifice of what land is left. Plus there are a ton of homes available for sale in the area. See Barnegat to see what a zillion retirement communities has done to local resources.

No disagreement there, just saying if that road goes in, thats what will be coming next; the road is the key to that happening. I personally cannot see how folks can live in those places. Drove thru Greenbrier once; I don't think I'd ever find my way home if I lived there. Everything is the same :rolleyes:

Ms Oats

Scout
Aug 7, 2013
Bayville, NJ
I agree with all of ocean county actually! too much development, infastructure can't handle it, and I can't deal with the traffic as it is, don't want anymore!!!