Any good herping areas

Apr 30, 2009
I'm taking a class and I need to boost my identification skills up (on snakes). I don't know what the heck I am doing out there other than walking blindly around lifting up every log I can.

Any input would help. Thanks

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
ditto 46er......I can help you ID stuff if you post photos, but as far as how to find stuff or where I can't. Many people watch these forums to find spots to collect from. If you have any questions pm me I may or may not be able to answer them. I can't give out any info on localities though.

Chris

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I should note always put back the cover as it was found. Some people starting out looking for reptiles don't do this. Putting the cover back properly ensures that the moisture levels will not be destroyed along with the microhabitat. Also avoid handling reptiles and ampibs if you don't have to(besides it being illegal in NJ) it can stress the creature out.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I should note always put back the cover as it was found. Some people starting out looking for reptiles don't do this. Putting the cover back properly ensures that the moisture levels will not be destroyed along with the microhabitat. Also avoid handling reptiles and ampibs if you don't have to(besides it being illegal in NJ) it can stress the creature out.

Hey it's me Steve. Good point to make about the habitat. Maybe some of the "crew" should take your advise about the handling of herps though as it is illegal. There isn't a double standard just for him is there? Sorry to vent but laws are laws.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Steve, in general I think people should avoid handling critters if they don't have to. Have I handled things yes but only for a certain purpose, to ID or sex. In general I don't handle snakes ever and the guys I herp with try not to unless necessary to figure out something. Not sure what you mean by the 'crew' I herp with one other two other people....shoot me a pm I'm confused.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
reptilecrazied, as far as find locations for snakes, if nobody can give specifics, maybe it would be easier to ask about characteristics and things of that nature about certain species, so you can still identify but not give away any location secrets

Apr 30, 2009
I can't thank you "all" enough for your advice. I really appreciate it. And for the record....I didn't even know I was doing it, but if I lifted a log I would put it back. Not even knowing why. I guess from getting my butt beat from my mom all those years for not putting my things where they belong. :)