Any Good Wild Cherry Recipes?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My wife and I just picked about 2 quarts of wild cherries in the woods near my house. It looks like a heavier year than normal.I left alot hanging.
Instead of just sitting around eating them as a snack like we usually do, I wanted to try something different with them this time.
Anybody know any simple recipes?
I saw alot of web stuff for jellies but you throw all the pulp away in making it.I would rather eat the whole fruit.
Pitting looks like a challenge but I am sure there is a trick out there somewhere.
Any input would be appreciated.
Scott

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Yup. I have a diverse set if interests...

BTW I'm serious about that pie; My mom is a great baker and she use homegrown fruit & nuts to make some great pies & cakes.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
wis bang said:
Yup. I have a diverse set if interests...

BTW I'm serious about that pie; My mom is a great baker and she use homegrown fruit & nuts to make some great pies & cakes.

I thought so. You answered a question that I posted on the Railfan site about Easton and the retired Lehigh Valley freight station.

Since you have interest in both the Pine Barrens and Trains, I thought you should know that I've contacted Mike from the South jersey Rail group to see if he can provide another tour of the CNJ path through the Pines.

Mike has agreed so I will post something once a date has been established.

Unfortunately, I have no bakers in the family so I when I need to have a pie, it's off to Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck.

Ken

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well I spent an hour and half pitting those b stards one at a time but the finished product is looking real good.
There has got to be a better way and a regular cherry pitter doesn't look it will handle the small wild ones.
I used the link that Steve posted and used that recipe for cherry jam. I did a canning though instead of the freezer method in the recipe.Thanks for the link Steve.
The box of Ball pectin I bought had about 15 recipes for cooked jams 15 recipes for cooked jellies and another 7 for freezer jams.
I will never forget all the things my grandmother put up like peaches, tomatoes, asparagus, peppers and green tomato relish.
Nothing like warmed peaches in January over ice cream.
Canning is a dying art and I ain't lettin' it go!
I am going to get a bucket of huckleberries (lowbush) this weekend and do them up.
Scott

We had Concord grape vines in my backyard when I was a kid.
My parents made grape jelly every year. Needless to say it was better than anything you could but in the store. One year my dad tried to make wine but it didn't turn out.
Another "failure" was actually better than it's intended purpose. My dad was making strawberry jam and it turned out too wet and runny. What a great ice cream topping!!!

Steve

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
We had a cherry tre in the yard growing up, made the best pies.

Mom used to get home grown Pecans from a neighbor's daughter who lived in South Carolina. Great Pecan Pies.

I have a childhood memory of my mom cleaning black walnuts wearing plytex gloves to get the green covering off & later useing a small hammer & auto body dolly to crack them = fantastic cake.

They have a hickory nut [shellbark] tree down the fencerow from their current house. She makes dad clean the nuts and send a cake along to the cabin for deer hunting along w/ 5 - 6 apple pies & her crumb cake.

Also picked blueberies in the poconos for her pies too!