any solo camping issues?

• Thread starter TabernacleNative
  • Start date

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Restrictions on knives

This site provides some info on the NJ knife laws. Looks to be real restrictive, I guess a pocket knife would be OK, but depending on the type, that could be suspect as well.
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/nj.txt

The State of NJ is more restrictive than many Communist countries. When Castro took over power in Cuba, the first thing that he did was to make in unlawful to posess a firearm, unless you are military, but the citizens are allowed to have knives of different lengths and types.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I have a Smith & Wesson Viper knife [link below] that I purchased legally here in the USA. It's a great compact knife and it's razor sharp, but it's a flip blade so it's probably considered a switchblade in NJ.

http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/knives-smith---wesson-smith---wesson-viper.html

If you have to provide the motion w/ your thumb or a flick of your wrist it is not illegal. Self opening knives are automatic once you push the button...

I have a thumb opening Gerber that is legal and opens pelanty fast enough...

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I would be cautious of posting locations where you may camp-etc opn this site. As postings can be found via google.

You never know who are reviewing your intent to camp outside of the devised safe arena of a state park and possibly come look for you.

As I have read things. Anything you carry in NJ to be used as a weapon for self defense may be illegal.

There is a law for anything today. One way or another they are gonna try and get us just for protecting our life and tax you via a fine.

6 feet over

Dec 6, 2008
Delco, PA
You're never alone...

I was out on the Batona today in Lebanon and was planning the same thing, trying to figure the best legs to do and where to camp. The problem is once you get to Batsto going towards Bass River, the camp grounds thin out. I figured it'd be OK out there, of all the hikes I've done all over the Pines, if I run into 3 other people I'm amazed. It's always empty.

It wasn't a hike, but I drove into the Batona Campground to test some winter camping gear. The over night low was 23 degrees, yet two hikers came in and set up right at dusk. They were great guys, but if you can't have a January Wednesday evening to yourself, then you can't ever expect to have a camp to yourself.

If you truly want to be alone, I'd say you'll have to stealth camp away from a camp ground. :ninja:

I'd also agree: wolves or coyotes are not the problem. PEOPLE are more of a safety concern than animals.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
PEOPLE are more of a safety concern than animals.

very true

not that i've ever had a problem, but i'm more afraid of people out there than the coyotes and the rare wolf.

i always feel safer in the pines than i do in philly.

Jeep Beep

Feb 27, 2009
Camp anywhere in the pines but make sure to put homemade spike stripes in the trail leading to your campsite for the Faucking ranger Basdards don't ruin your night.

Camp anywhere in the pines but make sure to put homemade spike stripes in the trail leading to your campsite for the Faucking ranger Basdards don't ruin your night.

Just givin' them a reason! Not a good idea. Just keep your fire low and don't call attention to yourself. Pickin' on the rangers just a bad idea. Not good to post it either - they can get you for endangering the public, as well as dozens of other charges. Brings up a question I've had since the change - what's the technical difference of "Rangers" vs "Park Police"? (More enforcement availability?)

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I have been an avid hiker my entire adult life. While I do enjoy group outings and sharing a nice campfire sometimes I like a night under the stars alone. The downside is obvious; injury, mis-navigation, negative encounters, etc. I always follow strict rules on day or overnight yaking or hiking trips. 1.Always leave specific details with someone as to where you are going, for how long, and when you plan to return. 2.Never wear headphones or anything that will block out noise around you. Check weather and river conditions before leaving. 3.Bring more food and water then you think you’ll need. 4.Always have a good understanding of the location you are headed, and if you don’t have a map be aware of the navigational challenges that are in front of you. 4. Always bring a good first aid kit with a space blanket, various bandages, a cleaning agent, and an epi pen if you have certain allergies, etc. 5. Headlight comes with me even on day trips as well as good flint and fire starting tools.
I don’t worry about negative animal encounters, the overall chance of an attack is really low, especially in the Pines. Simple rules follow here as well though. 1. Wear or bring a whistle, most animals HATE the shrill call and it alerts others to your location. 2. Don’t try and be to quite, it leads to surprised animals and the encounters can be dangerous. 3. Bear bag your food----always. I won’t hike anywhere without rope hanging my food. 4. Don’t ever run from a bear, elk, bison, or other large animal. Instinct will kick in and it will chase you down. 5. Just because an animal isn’t bear size does not mean it won’t be a danger to you or destroy gear. I’m not personally down with the Bowie knife kind of thing (I’m an ounce counter on the trail), but I bring an excellent multi-tool, and always have my trekking poles or walking stick. If you do have a negative encounter make noise and make yourself loud and large.
The BEST solo moment of the recent past----
A bear breaking trail up at Mt. Minsi in North NJ on the A.T. (spring 09). Not my first bear encounter, but almost everyone feels like the first.
Copperhead encounter on the A.T. up at Pinnacle in the Lehigh valley (summer 08). An elusive beautiful snake that let me know who was boss. A toss of his head and I gave him the trail, I had to go way out of my way, but it was well worth it.
The WORST solo moment of the recent past----
I hiked the 60 mile Loyalsock Trail in N.Eastern PA two years ago. It is a difficult trail filled with switchbacks, tough water issues at spots, and treacherous ankle biting rocks PA is notorious for. For me, that kind of solo is not only a challenge, but something to be proud of on completion. The morning of the 5th day I was ready to move on. The last site off of the trail is beautiful, up high with an excellent view. Well, I was having my tea and thinking about the trip when all of a sudden a bible camp showed up. They see me, bedraggled from 5 trail days and started whispering. The leader came up to me said hello and asked if I minded if they started singing. I said yes and he did a double take. “Yes you mind” he said, “Yes I did” I said. I explained after almost a week on the trail I just wanted my last little bit of time to go with some peace and quite. He said “you know young man we wait all week for this and that’s not a very Christian attitude.” I said “first, I’m not Christian, I am pagan” gasp horror. “But if you asks me the Christian thing to do would respect me for the next fifteen minutes until I leave. Then you can sing all morning if you like” The singing started anyway………

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Piney Boy said:
Well, I was having my tea and thinking about the trip when all of a sudden a bible camp showed up. They see me, bedraggled from 5 trail days and started whispering. The leader came up to me said hello and asked if I minded if they started singing. I said yes and he did a double take. “Yes you mind” he said, “Yes I did” I said. I explained after almost a week on the trail I just wanted my last little bit of time to go with some peace and quite. He said “you know young man we wait all week for this and that’s not a very Christian attitude.” I said “first, I’m not Christian, I am pagan” gasp horror. “But if you asks me the Christian thing to do would respect me for the next fifteen minutes until I leave. Then you can sing all morning if you like” The singing started anyway………

Good post, Piney Boy. This last bit was pretty funny. Christians have been adapting pagan tunes for their own purposes for centuries. You'd think some respect would be in order. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
4.Always have a good understanding of the location you are headed, and if you don’t have a map be aware of the navigational challenges that are in front of you.

I knew my way around last weekend, but I still had a map in my shirt pocket, and while digging the rocks out of the stream to look at them it fell out and before I could catch it the water took it away. If I did not know my way around, or have my GPS, the day could have turned out differently.

Guy

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Just wanted to say that I wrote the paragraph about worst experiences with no ill will or attempt at mocking Christianity. I know plenty of fine Christians that are part of my social life and family. It was not meant to be insulting to Christians of any particular sect, Im sorry if some found it insulting. Just a particular situation that included some Christians, it should in no way be taken to mean all Christians.
Take it for what you will:D......................

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I knew my way around last weekend, but I still had a map in my shirt pocket, and while digging the rocks out of the stream to look at them it fell out and before I could catch it the water took it away. If I did not know my way around, or have my GPS, the day could have turned out differently.

Guy

Makes me think of one of my Most Embarrasing Moments (outdoors)

Years ago, when I was in undergrad I often thought I was George of the proverbial jungle. Climbing trees, bouldering any size stones, leaping, jumping.......you get the picture. Well I was on White Clay Creek just outside of Newark DE. Its a lovely place with little water falls and pretty stream movement. I decided I didn't want to get my boots wet, so I proceeded to hop around all kinds of rocks.........that is until I stepped onto a jagged stone that sent me into deeper water, and under I went. I came up just in time to watch my boots float away, side by side, down stream. Lesson Learned: its better to have wet boots than bloody shoeless feet. :argh: :rofl:

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Just wanted to say that I wrote the paragraph about worst experiences with no ill will or attempt at mocking Christianity. I know plenty of fine Christians that are part of my social life and family. It was not meant to be insulting to Christians of any particular sect, Im sorry if some found it insulting. Just a particular situation that included some Christians, it should in no way be taken to mean all Christians.
Take it for what you will:D......................
I'm sorry your experience with them is included as a "worst experience" memory. You guys came to worship in different ways. Respect is the operative word here. I'm a Christian and would not have reacted that way towards you. Blessings...David

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I'm sorry your experience with them is included as a "worst experience" memory. You guys came to worship in different ways. Respect is the operative word here. I'm a Christian and would not have reacted that way towards you. Blessings...David

Well if thats the worst thats happened to me outdoors, as a forum friend pointed out, than I'm not doing so bad. I think it was cumulative really. The trail whipped me good and I was pretty exhausted at the time, I just wanted my last wee bit of time to go down with a bit of peace. I thought the gentlemen would understand that, but I guess not.
Anyway your right about worship, and I repsect the outdoor Christian ethos emmensely, we have much in common. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Blessed Be