Anybody got some good outdoor plans this weekend

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I am ready to get out now, I'm like a cat on a leash I want to hit the trail so bad.:cat: My comrades and I are doing the Thunder Swamp Trail on the Pocono Plateau this weekend. Interesting counter to Pines swamps. If I remember correctly similar tree and plant life, but with some climbs (800'), and PA ankle biting rocks. I love hiking PA, but HATE those ankle biters:jeffd: I'll post something when I return showing the similarities and differences in the two environs.
Hope everybody gets out and enjoys some PineLand's style fun.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
grendel said:
I did the trail a few times back about ten years .Always did like that place.Lots of rock slabs that shift under your feet.

I enjoy the elevation gain y'know? Rocks are just a PA hiking hazard. It does have a nice mix of wildlife and cascades though. The cascades are the highpoint.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
woodjin said:
Rocks? What are they?

Tell me about it!!! :rofl:
A little game I play with my out of town friends it to actually try and point out every rock I do see in the Pines, .vs. the endless supply you face on PA trails.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I'll be turkey hunting this Sat, not that far from Thunder Swamp. Remember to wear orange and leave the red, white & blue at home...

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
grendel said:
how about the black forest trail?

Nice trail that's in really good condition despite the heavy use. It was a buttkicker climbing Naval Run, 80 + degrees had me begging for relief. Excellent campsites with a variety of views and wildlife (a trapeze performing bear did his best to get into our "bear bag".)
Overall, I prefer The West Rim Trail in Tioga Co. Better views without as difficult a level of switchbacks and climbs.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Krloucks said:
Did ya ever do any hiking in Lycoming county pa? Specifically the old Loggers Trail in Tiagdacton state forest?

The Old Loggers Path is an excellent multi day hike with excellent vistas and doable terrain and climbs. Only complaint I have is that many of the best views are car accesible and thus open to partying yahoos that dont respect the site. I like the challenge of watching were I'm heading as the logging paths intersect, and its a challenge to remain online.
The LoyalSock, West Rim, & Ricketts Glen are my fav PA spots, but The Old Logger is not far behind. For excellent views with overall close to home hikes The Pocono's are up there too.

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
I just bought a place on Pleasant Stream about 9 miles from the Old Loggers Trail towards the Lycoming Creek. I'll be exlporing that area this weekend, also will be dong some ghost town touring and rattlesnake hunting.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Krloucks said:
I just bought a place on Pleasant Stream about 9 miles from the Old Loggers Trail towards the Lycoming Creek. I'll be exlporing that area this weekend, also will be dong some ghost town touring and rattlesnake hunting.

Good for you, real pretty area. Hope you have nothing but the best of luck with it.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Piney boy,
It is on rt.250 west of staunton,It is part of George Washington natl. forest.The area was never timbered, and is known for it's virgin stands of Hemlock.Sadly these trees are falling fast to the wooly agelid,an imported pest.There are still alot of giants but I saw a lot of dead trees.The terrain is very steep and wild. Not a great hike for vistas and water falls but I really like the wildness of the place, very few go off trail and you can really find some places that make you feel like you are in the wilderness.............How was the Poconos?