Anybody use Motion-X GPS for the iPhone?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I sold my old Garmin GPSMap 76CS and want to find a replacement. I figure that I carry my iPhone 4 around with me everywhere so rather than spend $200+ on a dedicated GPS I'd probably be better off just getting a GPS app for the phone. I'm basically only looking to be able to create waypoints and navigate myself to them. Access to Topo maps would be nice.

Motion-X looks good and it's only $3 in the App store. I'm thinking of giving it a try. Anybody else have any experience with it?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.magellangps.com/Products/Triton

I use the 500 shown here.Magellan used to be a real pain and their support sucks but I just found out why.Magellan has been bought quite a few times in the last few years and the new owners are putting out their own models and discontinuing the triton and others in favor of their explorists and such so the Tritons will have no more updates but I find they work quite well with what they have and my model has come down from a 400 to a little over 100.What I like about them is you can put real topo maps onto them either through Nat geo's TOPO Program or you can download free topos from the USGS site or aerials from google earth and NJGIN and calibrate the jpeg files you save into Rmp map files and put them into the gps and navigate with them.I imagine similar things can be done with Garmin but I don't know how to do it and I don't think they take real topo maps,by real I mean USGS quads.One downfall of the triton is the small screen,would be nice to have a larger screen but my unit will read out in feet all the way up to a mile which is real nice when bushwacking through thick stuff toward a waypoint and your tired and want to know if "we're almost there yet?"
The triton and it's software can be a pain learning and getting used to but if you go that way there is an excellent forum just on triton gps and they will help or I can help you if you go the triton route,the advantage of garmin is many more programs and software are compatible with garmin then magellan but I grew up on USGS topo's and thats what I want,gotta have them benchmarks too:)
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, Mitac bought Magellan back in 2008 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/155521/taiwans_mitac_to_buy_magellans_consumer_gps_group.html).

I have a Triton 1500 and the National Geo topo maps. They are pretty good scans of the paper maps, but I just never got to like the Triton very much and don't use it anymore. Their Vantage Point software was a nightmare the last time I tried it. The Triton uses the same SiRFStar III chipset as the Garmin 60csx, but for some reason it never got much love. Garmin has by far the lion's share of the recreational GPS market.

Garmin now has something called "Birdseye Topo" that allows unlimited downloads of the same scanned USGS 24k topo maps for $30/year. And for another $30 you get unlimited Birdseye aerial imagery which is actually the NJGIN 2007 orthoimagery.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
with triton rmp i can download all the free topos i want and then make rmp files out of them for free and have all the aerials and topos I want for free.Is there a corresponding program fro Garmins to compare to triton rmp? I also have downloaded all the 2007 orthoimagery and made rmp files out of those too.If garmin ever comes out with an equivalent to the triton rmp program where I can make my own maps for free I'll go Garmin because magellans support is non existent.I bought the 30 dollar google satellite image downloader and also make my own maps out of those.I also need a unit that will count down in feet from a mile.That hundredths of a mile stuff is a pain.
Al