Anyone go into the woods lately?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I did, and I kinda regretted it.
I was out in the Manorville Hills area, and the ice was absolutely awful. All the trails were very slippery, and the wood roads were a sheet of ice. I don't see how any vehicle could make it through there.
I slipped many times, fell 4 times, fortunately I had soft landings so I didn't break anything, though I did have a fun slide down a hill.
Also I heard there was a sledding accident in the woods and they had alot of trouble getting rescue vehicles in because of the ice.
It sure looks beautiful but is extremely dangerous. Most of the time I just walked in the brush along side of the trail.
Hadn't seen an ice storm do this to the woods in a long time.
This is the one time I'd like some warmer weather to melt this stuff. I'd rather have 2 feet of snow than this ice.
Also watch out for those frozen puddles, the sand roads are full of 'em.:jd:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am taking this weekend off. This kind of ice is very easy to get stuck in, and Jessica fell already and hurt her knee.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
L.I.P. did you get a lot of damage to the trees up in your woods? not so bad around my home, I live on the coast side of our pines and only got plain old rain. Up in norther ocean and southern monmouth county where I work got hammered with ice, very pretty but very destructive, I might take the shotgun for a walk this afternoon once the chores are done.(last weekend of small game season)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Not so much damage to the trees. At least in the pines, because it was actually above freezing. Thats why I thought there wouldn't be ice.
But what happened was it got cold real fast after the rain stopped, and the trails weren't able to absorb it because they were frozen, so the water froze right then and there on the trails.