Anyone heard frog calls yet?

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I know I've only been keeping track for a few years now, but this winter is taking FOREVER to end. Usually by this time in March, there are four or five species of frogs breeding---but thus far I've neither seen nor heard any at all.

Has anyone heard any calls or seen any frogs yet this year?

-Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were discussing that this past weekend and the answer here is no also. I will be in the area tomorrow (Saturday) that I heard them last year so I will get back to you if I hear them.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They were making a racket today Bobbleton! Scott, Jessica, and I heard Wood Frogs and a few Peepers in a swampy area near Fleming Pike about 4 miles south of Atsion.

Here is what the area looked like.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/228-1/IMG_5191.jpg

They never stopped as I walked the edge looking for them, but I never did see them. They were farther in the swamp than my boots would allow.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
TeeGate said:
They were making a racket today Bobbleton! Scott, Jessica, and I heard Wood Frogs and a few Peepers in a swampy area near Fleming Pike about 4 miles south of Atsion.

Awesome. Thanks, Guy. That means I'll be out there and hopefully have some good pics by early next week. I'll just have to check the rest of my wood frog spots until i find a vernal pool that isn't still frozen.

Also thanks everybody for keeping an eye out. I'll continue to do the same as this year's awakening progresses.

-Bob

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Later that same day, I found another spot in Atco under the high tension lines that was loaded with them.
I actually saw two swimming.
Where Guy and I saw them we couldn't actually see the frogs.
They make a pretty good racket for such a small critter.
Scott

sweetz34

Jun 24, 2004
Galloway,NJ
I have a small man made vernal pool in my backyard and the wood frogs have been going at it for at least a week or two , it is already full of eggs.

Erika

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
sweetz34 said:
I have a small man made vernal pool in my backyard and the wood frogs have been going at it for at least a week or two , it is already full of eggs.

Erika

Nice to hear from you again.

Yes....spring is very close :)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I went out tuesday night to one of my most reliable wood frog vernal pools . . . there was nothing . . . booo