Anyone know what's up with these blue dog paw print signs?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
These things started showing up on trails and sand roads around the end of January 2020. Most of them are a thin aluminum plate, fastened with 4 nails to a tree or post, and spray painted with a blue dog paw print. Sometimes there is no plate and they are sprayed directly onto something wood, like a post or box.

They have been seen at Bass River State Forest and Wharton State Forest.

Does anyone know if there is any significance to this, or is it just some random jerk vandalizing public lands?

Blue_paw_marker.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Gibby and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It could be Blues Clues

The show follows an animated blue-spotted dog named Blue as she leaves a trail of clues/paw prints for the host and the viewers, in order to figure out her plans for the day.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Thanks - good ideas.
It could be Blues Clues...
Could be... but it's a show for pre-schoolers. But there could be a connection. It's the most relevant thing so far.
It is a blazed trail of some sort.
Thought so at first, but when I mapped the locations I've found - about 10 so far - it seems to be less of a route than just a series of locations. Nothing a person could follow. But it could be a trail, if there was a separate set of directions, for example.
Probably Penn State alumni.
Do you mean because of the color, or is there something more?

Reactions: Gibby

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It does not have to be a trail. With a GPS and a vehicle clues could be anywhere. Just like geocaching.

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
just saw these paw signs walking on the batona last week. i was wondering what they stood for also ? Im sure someone will come up with the answer soon here.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
just saw these paw signs walking on the batona last week. i was wondering what they stood for also ? Im sure someone will come up with the answer soon here.
Can you say about where you saw them on the trail? Best would be the nearest half-mile marker sign.
I've been in contact with the Batona trail maintenance crew and they are NOT happy about these things.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
It is on Facebook now.
Thanks, yes I see it. She did tell me she was going to post it. And you can tell she isn't happy.

But posts there say these things were seen at Franklin Parker Preserve, and Munion Field Rd in Bass River SF. Could it be one person doing all that? They would be covering a lot of ground.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Update: Batona trail crew and others have been working to remove the signs or sprays. Still no idea who is doing it or why, although "Blues Clues" was mentioned again. I find it hard to believe a single person is responsible, due to the wide range of locations and the number of signs. Also, because in some cases we are finding both a metal sign and a separate sprayed-on paw print on the same post. See photo below. Why would a single person do this?

Reports of sightings would be helpful (you can message me through this forum, if you like), especially with lat/long coordinates. Second best is a really good description of the location. There are people walking trails and looking, carrying tools and paint to cover, but that's not the most efficient way to clean this mess up.

Blue_paw_marker_dual.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A simple grave marker somewhere off the beaten track would have sufficed. It is always nice to find them. Blue paw prints all over the place ...not so nice.