Anyone up for a Batona Thru Hike the week of August 18th?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
NJHIKERADAM said:
That would be awesome.........I have never been to Penn State Forest yet, what is your proposed trail route? Is it possible to hook Double Trouble somehow into the hike as well??????

Well I was thinking starting around Bear Swamp Hill heading down around the Pine Plains and catching the Batona 3 or 4 miles south of there. Penn State is maybe my favorite Pines area with the Plains, nesting eagles, Lake Oswego, very cool swamps, and cranberry bogs. I'll see about sending you a map sometime soon. Double Trouble would double the distance, but for some trip I'm sure it could be attached to reach the Batona at Ongs Hat. It would be nice to add another hiker to my MadAtlantic Hiker Posse:jd:

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Sounds like a good hike. What is the approximate mileage for this hike? I would be into it just give me as much notice as possible as I am planning a few hikes up north for September......

Also not Pine Barrens related but did you happen to see what Matt Hazley is planning? http://www.matthazley.com he is crazy......

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
NJHIKERADAM said:
Sounds like a good hike. What is the approximate mileage for this hike? I would be into it just give me as much notice as possible as I am planning a few hikes up north for September......

Also not Pine Barrens related but did you happen to see what Matt Hazley is planning? http://www.matthazley.com he is crazy......

Your preaching to the choir there buddy:rolleyes: , I totally understand your time issues because of other trips, I am in the same boat myself. I'm figuring it to be aprox. 40-45 miles, with a possibilty of a light bushwhack included. My time guestimate will be early October as I already have trips to Catoctin in MD and a possible Dacks trip in September. I'll see about the map over the next few days.
Haven't heard of Matt Hazley, but from your tone I'm betting its some kind of crazy mileage bushwhack type thing with little to no resupply far, far from civilization. Am I close?
Guess not. I just went back to that link. I've personally never understood that kind of need for speed on the trail. The AT in 40 days, I mean you are missing the BIG picture with those kinds of attempts if you ask me. What about Clingmans Dome or the Tennessee Balds? What about VA's Dragoon Tooth or Maine's 100 mile wilderness or even NJ's Sunfish Pond? Reminds me of that movie vacation were Clark Griswold stands at the rim of the Grand Canyon for three seconds or so. At least its for a good cause, I wish him the best for that reason.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
HEY!!!!!! Does this mean the hike for October is off?????? Let me know ,I may hit the Adirondacks if the Pine Barrens trip is off.....

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
NJHIKERADAM said:
HEY!!!!!! Does this mean the hike for October is off?????? Let me know ,I may hit the Adirondacks if the Pine Barrens trip is off.....

No, no, this hike is definitely on for October. Its my favorite time of year for backpacking in the Pines, and I'm really looking forward to this hike.