anyone up for camping?

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
Hi everyone, I'll be camping in Wharton for the week after mothers day, probably mostly on the lower forge and the mullica. I'd love some company out in the pines! Message me if you are passing through the area.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Curious, why do you call them krazy?
The ranger see nobody for weeks then 50 of us tree hanger camp and have cooking competition in the single digits. one year a foot of snow. i hiked 500 miles of the AT with a hammock in Jan & Feb '09. we are a very diverse group with winter hanging as the common thread. most consider us crazy :D

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
Nothing crazy about it, but I too have had many people call me crazy for my love of the woods, and preference for a hammock to sleep in on the trail.I love winter camping though, and I haven't really had trouble staying warm in my Hammock Bliss, I do layer up, and sleep with to fleece bag liners in my mummy bag, and often I find myself a little too toasty.anyways, keep me posted on the dates you do this hang, I'd love to participate. After that, I can tell you my crazy experience on the AT a couple years ago.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Nothing crazy about it, but I too have had many people call me crazy for my love of the woods, and preference for a hammock to sleep in on the trail.I love winter camping though, and I haven't really had trouble staying warm in my Hammock Bliss, I do layer up, and sleep with to fleece bag liners in my mummy bag, and often I find myself a little too toasty.anyways, keep me posted on the dates you do this hang, I'd love to participate. After that, I can tell you my crazy experience on the AT a couple years ago.
lowest i have been is -10 here....i was warm. stuck there for 36 hours. :) i'll PM you if they do any Pine Barren camping.

Attachments

• spring mt shelter.jpg
    spring mt shelter.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 321

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
Lowest I did was a few years back when we were having a bitter snowy winter. There was weather alerts and everything, and it was reaching below 20 at night and below 30 with the wind chill. The rangers thought I was nuts to be in a hammock and would check on me often.I was using an under quilt, 2 silk liners and a zero degree mummy. I was warm most of the time but after a while the snow blowing up under my tarp would hit the top of me or the bottom of my hammock and melt from the warmth stripping me of my warmth and wetting my bag, for three nights! Luckily, no frostbite or hypothermia, really it was more annoying than it was dangerous.