Anyone with Knowledge of Animal Tracks?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I was in the pine plains last Saturday, bushwhacking through one area near the Warren Grove recreation area. It had rained the night before, and when I finally stepped out onto that wide road I realized I had flushed out a few coyotes. Since the sand was still wet, I got a good print of claws, and something related to what Scott said about walking in line. The lower photo shows one track imposed upon the other, and this was the only set of tracks in this section of the road.

View attachment 6984
View attachment 6985
Wow, those are great ones! They could be illustrations in a wildlife book!

Reactions: bobpbx

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thank you for sharing those, Bob, and thanks Al for the breakdown of indirect register!

I found a few more during the snowfall last weekend, plus I dug two out of the archive from last year to share if anyone is interested:

First, what I believe to be a fox 'dive' into snow while hunting a rodent. Head size and size of tracks seemed too small to be coyote.

ry%3D480

Also, a squirrel kill from a raptor. I've been advised that it was a hawk, since owls will typically remove the head. I'm also told that you can tell if it's owl or hawk from the uric acid spray from the base of the tree, which I didn't see at the time.

ry%3D480

White-tailed deer, with print on right showing dewclaws:

ry%3D480

I should have put a coin down for scale for the next one. These were tiny, they almost looked like they were invertebrate tracks, but it was brutally cold after the snow. Any takers on this one?

ry%3D480

Rabbit, probably running. I believe so because the bound was nearly 4 feet!

ry%3D480

This one tricked me. A cursory look at the front paws side-by-side, plus the fact that the trail seemed to originate at the base of a tree, made me think that I was looking at Eastern gray squirrel prints. However, I realized later that the front prints were registering in front of the hind, making this a rabbit track. Interestingly, the bound was a bit shorter and in the opposite direction as the one pictured above, so I'm guessing that he ran into a fox and took off in another direction, and the tracks pictured above are of him running from the fox (there were also fox tracks near the rabbit tracks, see below).

ry%3D480

Here is the rabbit trail, looking relaxed and unlike the trail 2 pictures up. Note the bound was about 2 1/4 feet, vs. the 4 foot stride when running:

ry%3D480

Here are the fox prints:

ry%3D480

Measuring the stride:

ry%3D480

Here is the fox trail, showing how deliberate the trail is (center of picture):

ry%3D480

Please share any corrections or comments!

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Mark
a definite way to tell rabbit6 from squirrel is a squirrels back legs fall even ,right in front of the front legs making the pattern look square. That is a normal travelling stride.A rabblits back feet fall in front of the front feet and are diagonal.This is from a rabbit being a ground animale and a squirrel being a tree animal.Squirrels have to keep their feet together when running along narrow branches where a rabbit has room to stretch out so to speak and the splayed pattern gives better push off.
Now just a couple days ago me and my mushroom buddy found a decapitated meadow vole in a field and He said a hawk did it.he said they are good for taking the head and leaving the rest.I knew owls did it but he swore hawks do it too.He in some respects knows more about the woods then I do so I took his word for it. I"ll have to google it.I wonder if there is something in the brains that the raptors crave?

Reactions: NJChileHead

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Mark
a definite way to tell rabbit6 from squirrel is a squirrels back legs fall even ,right in front of the front legs making the pattern look square. That is a normal travelling stride.A rabblits back feet fall in front of the front feet and are diagonal.This is from a rabbit being a ground animale and a squirrel being a tree animal.Squirrels have to keep their feet together when running along narrow branches where a rabbit has room to stretch out so to speak and the splayed pattern gives better push off.

Hey Al, thanks for the info. Regarding the rabbit's back feet falling in front of the front feet, in the picture below, it looked to me like the front feet are printing in the front. I've got the direction of travel from right to left (looks like the toes are printing on the left side of the tracks with the heel pads on the right).

Is this abnormal?

ry%3D480

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
if thats the case He probably stopped there to look around.If a rabbit is in running mode his back feet fall in front of his front tracks and the back feet hit diagonally to the front tracks.If they are hopping and eating and looking around then his back feet may fall behind thefront tracks because he's not "stretching out"If you can find a youtube video of a rabbit in full gallop you can see their back tracks coming down in front of their front ones.I"ll try to find one and post it.By the looks of your photo I would say this rabbit was exiting the photo "Stage Left" Was his name Bugs?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This isn't exactly what I was looking for but it is a good set of tracks.I did make one mistake.When the tracks come down in front (back tracks) they are even but the front tracks in the back are diagonal.Look at 1:07 in the video.You can plainly see the larger back tracks in front of the smaller front feet.A rabbits back feet are much bigger then it's front ones. I"d like to get a slow motion clip of a rabbit actually running and you can see how the back tracks pass the front tracks when the rabbit lands.This movie also gives a comparison to squirrel tracks and their characteristic square track pattern.

Reactions: NJChileHead

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
This isn't exactly what I was looking for but it is a good set of tracks.I did make one mistake.When the tracks come down in front (back tracks) they are even but the front tracks in the back are diagonal.Look at 1:07 in the video.You can plainly see the larger back tracks in front of the smaller front feet.A rabbits back feet are much bigger then it's front ones.

Hey Al,

In the pic that I used, I thought that I was seeing the front feet in front (left side of picture) based on toes and the back feet in the rear (right side of the picture) with the front feet being the ones that are staggered, and as you said exiting stage left. Did I interpret this particular one correctly?

ry%3D480

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hey Al,

In the pic that I used, I thought that I was seeing the front feet in front (left side of picture) based on toes and the back feet in the rear (right side of the picture) with the front feet being the ones that are staggered, and as you said exiting stage left. Did I interpret this particular one correctly?

ry%3D480
Now this pic the critter appears to be heading right with the back tracks in front.Looks like a slow hop because the pattern almost looks squirrel like.7 inches is quite large for a squirrel pattern though.The smaller front tracks look like the toes are to the left but the back tracks look like their to the right.That would be impossible so I"m going with the animal is headed right and the back feet are in front and it's a slow hop since the diagonal placement is barely noticeable.By the way if you ever find M&M's next to tracks like these do not eat them!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I found these tracks next to a Friendship Bog today. Tried to find them on Google but couldn't figure it out. Can anyone id them?
tracks_1-1.jpg
tracks_2-1.jpg

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Alright Al, I went out yesterday morning to find some squirrel tracks as per your input earlier in this thread and sure enough I found some. Here's a nice view of the front feet behind the rear with toes facing forward:

ry%3D480

4" average sized print:

ry%3D480

Nice one showing details of rear toes:

ry%3D480

Trail showing consistent pattern:

ry%3D480

Looks like something spooked him and he sped up:

ry%3D480

Looks like that something may have been a house cat. No claws and almost a direct register:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Thanks!

JeepComanche

Feb 3, 2016
Bayville
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
Not to hijack a thread but does anyone here think this could be coyote fur? To me, it appears that several clumps were pulled out deliberately, and than placed in a pile in the center of a trail. It also appears that small pieces of skin were taken with the hair as well, which is the reason I believe it was pulled. I appreciate any input :)