Apple Pie Hill Has Been Closed To The Public

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
As I approached Apple Pie Hill this afternoon from the south on the Batona Trail, I encountered three signs from the NJ Div of Parks nailed to trees that said no littering, no dumping, or motorized vehicles are allowed on Apple Pie Hill. The when I reached the north side of Apple Pie Hill I encountered no tresspassing signs up all along the dirt road warning that the area is closed for all public use and anyone caught there would be prosecuted. These warnings are posted on 8 1/2" X 11" sheets of paper that have been tacked to the trees. Not sure why they made these signs out of paper since they can be easily torn down and at best will only be legible until the next rain storm.

I'm assuming, or at least hoping, they won't enforce the "no tresspassing" provision against hikers since the Batona Trail goes right through Apple Pie Hill. The way people have repeatedly trashed that area is a disgrace and I have felt something should be done for a long time, but I really don't think making it a "no tresspassing" zone is the answer. I don't think that is going to deter the vandals. It certainly didn't deter the two car loads of people who were climbing the tower when I walked by.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess with the signs up they can legally prosecute those who do what they have been doing. Maybe, just maybe, it is a good thing. They do have some serious reasons to stop people from going there. If they didn't then that would be a different story.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm assuming, or at least hoping, they won't enforce the "no tresspassing" provision against hikers since the Batona Trail goes right through Apple Pie Hill.

IMO, a short detour of the trail is a small price if it will allow successful prosecution of those damaging the tower. It would be difficult to prosecute if 'some' were allowed. If I come across a legal no trespassing sign, I honor it.

I have a bad feeling this thread may degenerate into a copy of the 'scar' thread.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I guess with the signs up they can legally prosecute those who do what they have been doing. Maybe, just maybe, it is a good thing. They do have some serious reasons to stop people from going there. If they didn't then that would be a different story.

Guy

You are right on the money Guy. We were up there today and wound up talking to one of the FFS guys that patrol the area. He said that they do not mind the normal tourist-y groups but that those signs (put up by FFS) will give a legal standing if they need to start issuing tickets and prosecuting people.

The lock is still on the box on top of the tower and the windows are intact. Last summer there was mega-damage to the inside of the box and they are not going to be fixing it until they get a handle on the destruction that is going on up there.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I agree, kind of

I guess we all saw this coming and taking action is probably way overdue. But placing signs forbidding all trespassing is a bit much for the initial actions. I agree with the no vehicles approach and gating of the road would be better yet. I also expect that preventing vehicles would stop people from bringing in all of their trash (bottles, TVs, etc) and that alone would stop the vast majority of the problems. If that did not work, then no trespassing would have to be considered. Because as you say, if no trespassing is listed on the sign, it could be held against you.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
IMO, a short detour of the trail is a small price if it will allow successful prosecution of those damaging the tower. It would be difficult to prosecute if 'some' were allowed. If I come across a legal no trespassing sign, I honor it.

I have a bad feeling this thread may degenerate into a copy of the 'scar' thread.

I guess the reason I'm thinking the state might not enforce the no tresspassing rule against hikers is because as I approached Apple Pie Hill from the south on the Batona Trail, the only signs you see are warnings against littering, dumping, and motorized vehicles. There are no "No Tresspassing" or "Area Closed" signs up where only foot traffic comes in. You only see those as you're approaching Apple Pie Hill from the north along the dirt road that gives vehicles access to the tower.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I guess the reason I'm thinking the state might not enforce the no tresspassing rule against hikers is because as I approached Apple Pie Hill from the south on the Batona Trail, the only signs you see are warnings against littering, dumping, and motorized vehicles. There are no "No Tresspassing" or "Area Closed" signs up where only foot traffic comes in. You only see those as you're approaching Apple Pie Hill from the north along the dirt road that gives vehicles access to the tower.

That would be correct and the exact rason they put the signs up according to the guy we talked to today. The foot traffic is a non issue...

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I've been saying for a while to block vehicle access off going there. You want to see the scenery bad enough you can walk up there. Block it at the beginning of the hill, it will be about a 1000 foot walk that noone with a TV will want to do. If the dirt, pilings, machinery, and approval is granted I'll build the blockades

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Another thing I'm not happy about is going back a couple of months ago a few of my freinds where out doing a night ride and came across a group of people partying up there and called the 24 hour dep hotline . The person who answered stated that they'd send someone up there (state park police) after an hour went by the kids where still partying up there with no officers to be found. I don't weho it is that sucks, but somebody does, either our DEP or our Park Police

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I've been saying for a while to block vehicle access off going there. You want to see the scenery bad enough you can walk up there. Block it at the beginning of the hill, it will be about a 1000 foot walk that noone with a TV will want to do. If the dirt, pilings, machinery, and approval is granted I'll build the blockades

The guy from FFS said thery might be getting Jersey Barriers to put up.:D

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I'm thinking it was 7 or 8 years ago that they re-graded the road up to the hill and added some new timber guide rails. It made it almost look too "inviting". I remember thinking "This isn't good".

I'm glad to hear there's something happening to end the vandals/litters.