Apple Pie Hill Tower Open Saturday

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica read on the Wharton State Forest Facebook page that the tower will be open for 7 hours Saturday to stop in and enjoy the view. You will not be able to get into the observation room.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On February 18, 2023 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower on the Wharton State Forest will be open to climb and take in the fantastic views. On a clear day you can see Philadelphia, Atlantic City and many other points in the surrounding area. And of course, you will see the vastness of the New Jersey Pinelands. Only the stairs will be open on the 18th and not the Forest Fire Service's observation room.
Apple Pie Hill is generally recognized as one of the highest points in southern New Jersey coming in at 205 feet above sea level. Climbing the fire tower will put you at about 250 feet.
Heavy rain/snow and/or sleet/freezing rain will cancel the event. If the weather seems questionable to you on the 18th, please call the Wharton State Forest office at 609-561-0024 to see if the event is still taking place.
This event is free and open to the public. Registration is not required.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I got the notification email as well - I stopped by in the morning. It was very nice and clear. I have been up in the cab of the Medford tower before, years ago, but not up this one. I am not a fan of heights. Still, I at least got some shots.
A7502465.jpg

A7502473.jpg

A7502493.jpg

I noticed the recent burn has kind of uncovered these, in the culvert that runs down the hill. What exactly am I looking at here?
A7502495.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
...err, Applepye Hill in 1759.

1676864593458.png
TO: Tanton Earl; Thomas Earl, Jr.
19 Jun 1759
SURVEY AND MAP. 2 acres. Near Little Egg Harbor Road; south east of Applepye Hill; Burlington County.
OTHERS NAME Daniel Ellis (Deputy Surveyor) (Signatory)
LOCATIONS: West Jersey; Burlington; Applepye Hill; Hill (The Hill); Little Egg Harbor Road; Roads, Streets, Highways, Paths
West Jersey Loose Records : 1759 - Earl, Tanton (41924) (PWESJ004)

Reactions: Boyd and stiltzkin
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Park Service had this little info page printed out:

View attachment 19396

Where did "Petty Coat Pile" come from? This is the exact kind of situation where I'd like to see what Doc Bisbee has to say about it, but that book still eludes me. I think I'll have to check it out from the library again.
Looks like it comes from a bogus wikipedia edit from January 2019.

They cite the following article as a source: https://www.nj.com/burlington/2016/09/access_to_pine_barrens_landmark_restricted_due_to.html

• Wow
Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I'm forgetting what's what down there, but I think that's the tower we camped not too far away from for four days in my tent in 1982...that one was not that far from Batsto, I think, and one night we drove out of the Barrens and spent an evening drinking beer in a biker bar somewhere and then went back home to the tent in the woods. I have just one photo from the 1982 trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
There used to be fire towers scattered around the woods north of NYC (where i lived) too. I remember climbing up one in the Shawangunks or Catskills or something in the mid sixties and talking to the fire ranger. I was thinking at the time that i wanted to be a forester. He told me he had majored in forestry in college. Much later i learned that my great grandfather had been a forester in Europe. Must be in the blood.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In looking around that area with the mid-atlantic lidar, this is an interesting knob (109') in the Birches cranberry watershed. Kind of thing I look at and determine to go and see. Won't be easy, but will be interesting.

View attachment 19397View attachment 19398

When you go let me know. On the easterly side of the hill is a property stone. I will look for the deed I found that.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I picked up Sign Posts from the library again to see what Bisbee says about the name, but it's not much we don't already know here:

Apple Pie Hill (Tabernacle Township)
Located on eastern border of township near the Woodland Township line. Some claim this "hill" elevation two hundred and nine feet above sea level, resembles an old-fashioned apple pie. This writer could find no such resemblance. The name is first found on the 1849 map. However, it is surprising to note that it was named in the eighteenth century. A survey for T. Earl records a grant "near Apple Pie Hill" on June 19, 1759.⁷

7. Surveyor General's Office Book H p 209, 1759

Spung-Man already posted this very record.

Certainly no mention of "Petty Coat Pile." Neither the "it kinda looks like an apple pie" or "it's named after a non-native plant" theories seem very likely. Not sure if it is possible to go further back than 1759, though.