Apple Pie Hill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Speaking of Beck, we just missed his birthday. He would be 106 years young. I was at Harleigh Cemetery early yesterday morning with my kids, my mom, and my brother, and noticed it.

beck.JPG

There were quite a few turtles in the lake there, and at least one crane. We were the only people there except one worker. Tons of geese. It was nice going early. We visited Locustwood in Cherry hill, Harleigh in Camden, and we were home by 9:30AM!

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
WAMBA said:
when you say closing down do you mean demolishing the tower?

I am not sure, the rangers did not tell me. My guess is that they will put a fence up around it. Possibly take down the tower, and patrol the area alot more then they do now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If they move the tower and put a fence up, there is not much of a reason to go there. The trees will grow up and block the view like on Bear Swamp Hill.

Sad to say but maybe a good move.

Guy

Sky042

Sep 24, 2005
Has anyone attempted a ride up there recently to see what the story is?
I never made it to apple pie hill it's been on my list of places to try to get to.
One day actually we were going to head there but got a little lost on the way to jamaima mount and somehow wound up in friendship so we ended our day early once we found pavement again.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
went out to apple pie a few weekends ago to show family from vermont we have some hills, there was a pick up with forest fire emblem above the plate and he was up in the tower looking down giving us stink eye the whole time like we should not be there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
he was up in the tower looking down giving us stink eye the whole time like we should not be there.

Did you go up the tower? Many times they let you in. Then again he may have been a grouch.

Guy

Sky042

Sep 24, 2005
I'm planning on a little expedition either later today(wednesday) or thursday depending on weather.
I guess I'll have to make sure I put apple pie hill on my list of places to visit.
Just have to deicde how I'm going to get there.
Comming from new gretna I tend to enter the wharton down almost near lowerbank. I've gotten to freindship from there so I'll have to figure out how to get to apple pie hill from friendship as I'd hate to ride pavement all the way up to atsion.
Also hitting bear swamp hill this week I reckon.
I'm going to make an attempt to get from bear swamp hill to rte 539 or secondly rte 72 depending on how many gates I encounter but if my mapping is correct I can circumvent the bombing range I think
My buddy and I will likely enter near washington then head up to jamaima mount then head towards friendship. if I can exit in atsion I'll come back into chatsworth and hit bear swamp hill on my way home...should be a good day

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm going to make an attempt to get from bear swamp hill to rte 539 or secondly rte 72 depending on how many gates I encounter but if my mapping is correct I can circumvent the bombing range

The easiest thing to do is hit 72 after Bear Swamp Hill and then to 539. And the easiest way is when you come down from the Hill and turn right....just keep going straight. Takes you right to 72. You will get to see the Chemical dump also which is an important scenic view in the pines :(

If you have a car you just need to keep your speed in a few sandy area's. I drive it all the time with no problem.

Guy

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
My son was up there a few days ago. The tower is in place and the area hasn't been fenced off.

I was up there this past weekend and everything was like it always has been. Bottles and trash all over the place. And keeping with the holidays saw some remnants of some pumpkins, too.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The easiest thing to do is hit 72 after Bear Swamp Hill and then to 539. And the easiest way is when you come down from the Hill and turn right....just keep going straight. Takes you right to 72. You will get to see the Chemical dump also which is an important scenic view in the pines :(

If you have a car you just need to keep your speed in a few sandy area's. I drive it all the time with no problem.

Guy

If you want to avoid route 72, and save some driving time, you can go to beaver dam road from bear swamp hill through the woods. Take Beaver dam to the end, pas the radio tower, it becomes pavement, comes to a T. Make a right and you will see Lucials on 539. Not much pavement. and a nice drive.

I could try to map out bear swamp hill to beaver dam road but I don't know how to mark the topos. I'm sure you will figure it out. Anyway, you will end up North of the bombing range.

Jeff

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I was here again on Sunday. My wife wanted to climb all the way up. The last time we only made it half way. She was successful in her quest, although I didn't make it up any further. It looked like the kids had fun dropping pumkins from the top, since they are all splattered at the bottom. Additionally, there was quite a bit of empty beer/wine/whiskey bottles and containers off to the side. We threw them into the back of the truck and took that trash out with us. It really bothers me that this continues to occur in just about every area I wheel in.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
If I keep following the tracks east by the Carranza memorial will that take me to apple pie hil???? What was apple pie hill???? Is there any other spots of interest in the area???

Jello

Follow the Batona Trail, which can be found just past the Batona Campsite, and follow the pink blazes for 4 miles. That'll take you directly, or swervingly, to Apple Pie Hill. Nice hike, 4 miles up, 4 miles back. The short climbs make for another interesting aspect you dont get in to many other Pines places.
Search around and you'll find plenty of interesting places on this site, or just browse around youself.