Apple Pie Hill

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Me, my gf, and our dog, made our first trip to Apple Pie Hill and did our first hiking on the Batona trail Sunday.
I had no clue where we were going other than directions I wrote down from looking at Google earth. It's amazing how the trees hide it.
I was pretty sure we were close to APH, so we parked and starter walking. We came across this nice pink blazed marked trail so we headed off into the woods. I thought maybe it's the Batona trail?? Who knew that it leads to APH?? We later found out that it was the Batona and that we were headed in the wrong direction by another hiker we met along the trail.
I figured we were about a mile from where we parked going in the wrong direction.......:bang:
Now going in the rite direction we passed the truck, and hiked about another mile before reaching APH.
It was pretty busy up on the Hill. There must have been 10 Jeeps, a couple of motorcycles, and a few other cars. The area was a lot cleaner than I expected to see after reading other reports of the area.
Once up on the Hill, I couldn't believe my eyes. WOW what a view! Are we still in South Jersey? I Climbed up the tower and was in awe at the sea of green and endless view.
I could have sat there all day taking in the view and thinking what a wonderful day to be alive....................Mike

The fire tower and the view at Apple Pie Hill
Apple_Pie_Hill_017.jpg
Apple_Pie_Hill_013.jpg
Apple_Pie_Hill_012.jpg

My dog checking out the tee pee and a small shelter along the Batona trail
Apple_Pie_Hill_005.jpg
Apple_Pie_Hill_006.jpg

Sorry about the small pics, the larger version can be seen here.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/941

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'm glad to hear it was clean. Last time I was there we saw a lot of litter, including many old computer monitors that had been tossed from the tower.

The view is incredible. I was there with my kids in the early fall, and the young man in the box invited us up. They got a kick out of seeing Atlantic City in one direction and Philly in the other.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
They must have cleaned it up - and glad to hear it. I agree the view from up there is incredible. :) That's the one thing I enjoy about walking the Batona Trail is the little differences in landscape as you traverse the Barrens.

flyingn

Jan 8, 2007
man. Id love to take a hike there with my Son.. But don't know that much about where it even is! lol.. If anyone is planning a weekend trip again please let me know.. Thanks

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
If you're looking for a nice easy hike, the Batona trail from the Carranza Memorial to APH is well marked and very cool. I believe the distance one way is about 4 miles, so plan on an 8 mile round trip. Sounds long, but it's all flat and easily done in a half a day.

flyingn

Jan 8, 2007
We can drive up to apple pie hill with our 4wd correct? Its at the end of white horse road, correct?

flyingn

Jan 8, 2007
even a cab would stop at the side of the paved road and drop you off. Its still quite a few miles to the tower from the paved road from what I can tell:(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Unfortunately for you the pines are not NY. You will find it really tough getting around here without a vehicle. I would not even attempt to come unless you do.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
If I had a choice of accessing Apple Pie Hill from Rt. 532 or Carranza, I'd definitely choose Carranza. This might be the prettiest section of the entire Batona Trail, especially if one takes some time to brush through for a few views of Skit Branch.

Bill