April Blooms

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice Bearberry shots. While you are out there, look for the trailing arbutus. The little pink flowers are beautiful against the leathery leaves and they smell lovely.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! I hope to get some this weekend.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a great day yesterday was. Eye catching flashes of color in the grass revealed these tiny flowering plants. Any help on identifying these would be fantastic.

Wild Blooms

You really have good micro talent. Very beautiful shots.

The first one is a broom moss. I don't have a technical book on mosses and liverworts (yet) but I'd guess that is Dicranum condensatum.

The second is from a tree, right? I think they are red maple buds; Acer rubrum.

The third is a member of the pink family: Cerastium semidecandrum (no common name).

The blue one and purple one are unknown to me (as of now).

The last one is a mustard: Arabidopsis thaliana. Common name Mouse eared cress.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
You really have good micro talent. Very beautiful shots.

The first one is a broom moss. I don't have a technical book on mosses and liverworts (yet) but I'd guess that is Dicranum condensatum.

The second is from a tree, right? I think they are red maple buds; Acer rubrum.

The third is a member of the pink family: Cerastium semidecandrum (no common name).

The blue one and purple one are unknown to me (as of now).

The last one is a mustard: Arabidopsis thaliana. Common name Mouse eared cress.

Wow, your the man! Thank you. I will add descriptions later. The second one is only a few inches tall and there are lots of them so I don't thinks it is red maple. I will try to post a context/leaf picture of that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Drifter,

I ran into the blue one today with Guy. It took me a while to key that one out. It is Veronica arvensis. The common name is corn speedwell.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
IMG_0074a.JPG

Thanks. This is the smallest flower I have seen. No bigger than a pencil lead. How does the name derive "corn"?

I will get a pic of the red blooming one today if I can.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like a face with the flower being the mouth. Nice one!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I noted the seeds shape may look like litte corn ears when mature. The flower is about 5.5 mm wide, and the pistil is only 1.8 mm tall. It is classified as an invasive weed in most areas.

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/corn_speedwell_39/

By the way, I also found the red-flowered one. Like you say, it is small and herbaceous. Your photos are so detailed it makes one think they are looking at something much larger. I did not key the red one out as I'd rather wait to see if they mature a bit. If those flowers don't open up, I'll have to do surgery on them. That is always fun too. The inside of flower buds is a beautiful thing...clean, new, and colorful....like a new birth.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! Now we need to identify spidey and the flowers.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, I also found the red-flowered one. Like you say, it is small and herbaceous. Your photos are so detailed it makes one think they are looking at something much larger. I did not key the red one out as I'd rather wait to see if they mature a bit. If those flowers don't open up, I'll have to do surgery on them. That is always fun too. The inside of flower buds is a beautiful thing...clean, new, and colorful....like a new birth.

I keyed that out. It was very difficult. It is Rumex acetosella, common name Red Sorrel. It is of the Buckwheat family; Polygonaceae. It is dioecious.