Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
See this - there's actually quite a lot about bicycles here

7:2-1.7 Definitions

"Motor vehicle" means any vehicle propelled other than by muscular power, except motorized bicycles, motorized scooters, and vehicles that run only upon rails or tracks.

"Motorized bicycle" means a pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in that either the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc), or said motor is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower or is powered by an electric drive motor and said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface.

“Motorized scooter” means a miniature vehicle propelled other than by muscular power and includes, but is not limited to, pocket bikes, super pocket bikes, scooters, mini-scooters, sport scooters, mini choppers, mini motorcycles, motorized skateboards, and other vehicles with motors not manufactured in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and which have no permanent Federal Safety Certification stickers affixed to the vehicle by the original manufacturer. This term shall not include electric personal assistive mobility devices, motorized bicycles, or low-speed vehicles, or motorized wheelchairs, mobility scooters, or similar mobility assisting devices used by persons with physical disabilities or persons whose ambulatory mobility has been impaired by age or illness.
“Motorized skateboard” means a skateboard that is propelled otherwise than by muscular power.

“Off-road vehicle” means any motorized vehicle with two or more wheels or tracks that is capable of being operated off of improved and maintained roads including, but not limited to, motorcycles as defined at N.J.S.A. 39:1-1 et seq., Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation, snowmobiles, and all-terrain vehicles, and dirt bikes as defined at N.J.S.A. 13:1L-1 et seq., Acquisition, Construction and Management of State Parks and Forests. A motorcycle that registered, insured, authorized under N.J.S.A. 39:3-1 et seq. to operate on public roadways in the State, and ridden by a licensed operator is not include in this definition.

7:2-2.25 Bicycles, roller skates, and skateboards

(a) Bicycle riding is allowed and encouraged on all established State Park Service roads, and routes or paths designated for such use, unless restricted by posted signs.

(b) Bicycles and riders shall comply with all applicable New Jersey motor vehicle and traffic laws.

(c) Bicycle riders shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable.

(d) Persons riding bicycles on a State Park Service road may travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise shall ride in single file except on paths set aside for exclusive bicycle use.

(e) A person riding upon any bicycle shall not attach the bicycle or himself to a motor vehicle or motorized bicycle.

(f) A person shall not practice any tricks or stunt riding on a State Park Service roadway.

(g) Bicycle riders shall not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached to the bike.

(h) A bicycle shall not be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.

(i) Bicycles shall be equipped with brake and horn or bell.

(j) When used at night or during periods of low visibility, a bicycle shall emit lights front and rear in accordance with motor vehicle and traffic laws.

(k) Roller skates and skateboards are restricted to areas specifically designated by the Superintendent or designee. The use of roller skates and skateboards on State Park Service roads and parking lots is prohibited.

(l) Bicycles are prohibited on historic sites, walkways, natural trails and hiking trails.

7:2-3.9 Motorized bicycle restrictions

(a) Motorized bicycles which meet the provisions of this subchapter are permitted on State Park Service roadways unless otherwise posted.

(b) In the interest of safety, the Superintendent or designee is authorized to temporarily prohibit or limit the operation of motorized bicycles.

(c) A person shall not operate a motorized bicycle on any right-of-way of any operating railroad.

(d) A person under the age of 15 years shall not operate a motorized bicycle on State Park Service property.

(e) A person shall not operate a motorized bicycle unless the operator is in possession of a valid drivers license or a motorized bicycle license, a valid registration, a valid insurance identification card and displays a valid license plate. Non-resident motorized bicycle owners shall be required to have complied with registration and licensing laws of the operator's state and shall obey all other State Park Service and New Jersey motor vehicle and traffic laws.

(f) State Park Service rules applicable to bicycles shall apply whenever a motorized bicycle is operated on State Park Service property.

(g) A motorized bicycle shall carry only the operator.

(h) A person shall not operate a motorized bicycle unless the operator wears a protective helmet of a type approved by the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Did you read 7:2-3.9 (E)?
I read that in the VVUM Q&A (last question) and shook my head :eek:
Registration, Insurance, and a plate for a motorized bicycle in the woods?
Never noticed a plate on the ones I see zipping around on the streets…

edit… not sure any current offering could go over 25 on the sand so the above doesn’t apply (Or you just lie)
Motorized bicycle means a pedal bicycle… …powered by an electric drive motor and said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you read 7:2-3.9 (E)?
I read that in the VVUM Q&A (last question) and shook my head :eek:
Registration, Insurance, and a plate for a motorized bicycle in the woods?
Never noticed a plate on the ones I see zipping around on the streets…
I think some of them don't even have a place for them. Could be wrong.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I had actually been considering something like this as a relatively inexpensive, very low environmental impact way to get back onto some roads that I can definitely not get my car down and which would otherwise be long hikes:

But I would need to research further to understand if this would be legal. The park service code posted above only makes me even more uncertain.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
There’s different classes of e-bikes. Up to 20 mph you don’t need license, registration and tags. They can be restricted locally but generally are treated like regular bicycles by the state. The maintained mtb trails in Wharton don’t allow them for instance.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
There’s different classes of e-bikes. Up to 20 mph you don’t need license, registration and tags. They can be restricted locally but generally are treated like regular bicycles by the state. The maintained mtb trails in Wharton don’t allow them for instance.

I saw this page as well while researching, but I assume that this Title 39 stuff is in addition to the Park Service Code if you are operating this kind of bike in the forest. Technically, these could also fall under the definition of off-road vehicles, since they are defined so broadly. So I really am not sure.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
E-bikes are motor vehicles, but the riders act like they aren't. There are multiple classes and some don't go over ~20mph so are more equivalent to a regular bicycle; others have more power and are more akin to a moped. E-bike riders ignore the "No e-bikes, no pedal assist" signs at Black Run Preserve all the time.

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
I see them in Wharton too(not when it’s cold though, lol). Was unloading my bike in the Batsto parking lot. Had a guy stop and tell me how upset he was over how the trails are terrible for his e-bike, like he was looking for a refund or something. Told me he didn’t give a f&#$ about the no e-bike signs and drove all the way down from north Jersey for a waste of time.

When you see skids with piles of pine needles at the end before every single turn you just know it’s some tool with an e-bike. Nobody peddling their bike is gonna waste all that energy tearing up the trail.

slingblade

Scout
Sep 15, 2016
MakePeace Lake NJ
I had actually been considering something like this as a relatively inexpensive, very low environmental impact way to get back onto some roads that I can definitely not get my car down and which would otherwise be long hikes:

But I would need to research further to understand if this would be legal. The park service code posted above only makes me even more uncertain.
Before paying for a 75lb e-bike. Maybe try a regular pedal power fat-tire-bike. Much less weight. Much less problems. Four to five inch wide tires on a good light fat-bike makes easy work of all but the worst sand roads.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was in Philly today and an electric unicycle, or whatever they are called, was flying down Market street. He looked like he was an expert on it because he was relaxed as can be. It really looks unsafe being on one and he did not have a helmet on.

Reactions: Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My hunting buddy has a high-end Bakcou Mule. They are around 5 grand and he added the optional trailer. It is awesome and we use it for turkey hunting on private land. We can bring all of of our gear, guns and blind on the trailer. I just walk to the spot as he silently jets across the fields in the dark. When I get to the spot he usually has the blind up and everything in the blind.

He uses it for deer hunting on private land here and in DE and drags his deer out on the trailer. He is going to be 67 this year and even though he led an active and fit life, genetics handed him heart issues in his 50's and has had heart and carotid artery work done. The E-bike will keep him in the game for many years to come.