Arid August wilts S.J. farms

supercilious

Scout
Jun 27, 2004
The farming part, this stuff happens most years. This year we have not been given the chance of daily isolated storms, or the weekly front storms moving in. It is dry here, but a in years before, and this year, at times we got to much rain at certain times (usually May), or to much rain all year which stops working of fields, or two little that suspends harvest. I do have a question, my father was talking to a fire service person, he told my father that people actually set fires on purpose in the pines, like 10 a week. Does anyone know if this is true? I told my dad i thought the guy was just bullshitting, i would imagine this would create serious fires, and to not to catch these people doing it? Do you or anyone else know that this is actually true?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
supercilious said:
I do have a question, my father was talking to a fire service person, he told my father that people actually set fires on purpose in the pines, like 10 a week. Does anyone know if this is true? I told my dad i thought the guy was just bullshitting, i would imagine this would create serious fires, and to not to catch these people doing it? Do you or anyone else know that this is actually true?

I think that is pure bullshit. Those guys love fighting fires, they dream of it. He wants to keep his job. Did you notice that every fire, no matter how small, makes the media? Then how come we only see, what, 4 or five a year if 520 are set each year?

I have a lot of trouble with the fire service's policy of putting out every fire immediately. The pines are the way they are because fire was a major contributor.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just 20 years ago you could ride down 72 and get a greet view all around in some places. Now because there have not been large fires the view is disappearing. The pygmy pines are growing higher than they have ever been since I started in the pines. Unfortunately, we need a good fire.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
TeeGate said:
Unfortunately, we need a good fire.
Guy

Being in close proximity to Wharton as many here probably are in their respective areas, I would say, especially in this dry time... Be careful what you wish for.

G.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
LARGO said:
Being in close proximity to Wharton as many here probably are in their respective areas, I would say, especially in this dry time... Be careful what you wish for.

G.

I have to go with Largo here. I live right within Lebanon. I know where you are comming from Bob and Guy, but I think they are just trying to get the fires out before they become uncontrollable, not taking any chances. About '93 my father in law saw a wild fire jump the parkway from one side to the other. Letting the fire go for a while means that they may be risking their lives instead of just doing a job.

I wish they did more controlled burning in the plains. You notice that the trees along 72 are significantly higher than those along 539.

Also, just wanted to point out: while the fires are very important for the flora. They aren't necessary the best for the fauna. I can't imagine how much death occurs with those fires, it must be mind blowing.

Jeff

supercilious

Scout
Jun 27, 2004
bobpbx said:
I think that is pure bullshit. Those guys love fighting fires, they dream of it. He wants to keep his job. Did you notice that every fire, no matter how small, makes the media? Then how come we only see, what, 4 or five a year if 520 are set each year?

I have a lot of trouble with the fire service's policy of putting out every fire immediately. The pines are the way they are because fire was a major contributor.

sorry guy, either my post was out of context or you read it that way. The guy told my father about the number of purpose set fires per week, i dont mean they were flaming 100 acre things, just purpose set stuff they need to put out. I assume he might mean even a created fire by the side of the road, i dont know, it just seeemed the number as being high. As with every fire being reported, ive heard personally of dozens not being in the news from friends living out there, and not big fires, just the fire service going out, fires are only reported if major and if its "news worthy". Im not sure your anger on this, i was not refering to fire as a major fire, just as fires set on purpose, and i questioned to myself why didint they become major since the pine barrens is ripe for stuff like that. Im sorry you lost me on your response, i was just stating about the fire service, and putting out fires, not infernos, just fires people set on purpose. My question was if its true that people actually do this as much as said, and is this true? Also for fire reported in the media, i havent seen one this year(maybe i forgot, but i dont remember), and cant remember them last year, take it easy on the media, local papers rather spend 10 pages on AP press then local stuff, and TV media rather cover another 1 of 200 murders this year then anything else, media is about money, not substance.

supercilious

Scout
Jun 27, 2004
yeah it was at bob, i was just really asking if what was told to my father was true about alot of people purposing setting fires. It made no sense to me that arsonists are running around, and actually doing this. I would think that big fires would be started from this, or atleast in the news about arsonists in the pines.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I really doubt that there could be that many fires caused by arsonists. IT would be nearly impossible for the forest fire service to respond to that many. They are busy monitoring controlled burns through out the day,sometimes, might the fire fighter in question been referring to controlled burns and not arsonists and there was a misunderstanding in communication?

Even still, inclueding controlled burns, that seems like too much. The fire fighter was probably just exaggerating as Bob suggested.

Jeff