Ariel Hotel, Atlantic City

I figure it's a long shot, but has anyone heard of/know anything about the Ariel Hotel in Atlantic City? My uncle is visiting from Japan and esearching family history. What we do know:

His great-aunt (my great-great aunt) owned the place in the early 1900s, which we've discovered from the 1910 census. "Aunt Kate" was orignally married to Hugh McCormick (a blood relative of mine), but later married a man by the name of Dowdell, making her Catherine Dowdell, but she had no children. The hotel was located at 2024 Pacific Avenue in Atlantic City. We're specifically looking for her second husband's name, her death date, and when the hotel was sold, but any information about the hotel in general would be great, or perhaps even a picture. He's doing research at the Atlantic County Clerk's Office today, as well as the Atlantic County Historical Society, but I figured posting here and on Barry's list couldn't hurt.

If we find anything good, I'll post again...

Last edited:

Bruce Yellin

Oct 9, 2011
I figure it's a long shot, but has anyone heard of/know anything about the Ariel Hotel in Atlantic City? My uncle is visiting from Japan and esearching family history. What we do know:

His great-aunt (my great-great aunt) owned the place in the early 1900s, which we've discovered from the 1910 census. "Aunt Kate" was orignally married to High McCormick (a blood relative of mine), but later married a man by the name of Dowdell, making her Catherine Dowdell, but she had no children. The hotel was located at 2024 Pacific Avenue in Atlantic City. We're specifically looking for her second husband's name, her death date, and when the hotel was sold, but any information about the hotel in general would be great, or perhaps even a picture. He's doing research at the Atlantic County Clerk's Office today, as well as the Atlantic County Historical Society, but I figured posting here and on Barry's list couldn't hurt.

If we find anything good, I'll post again...

I was searching for information about the Hotel Ariel and found your post back in 2004. My great aunt, Anna Scher, I believe owned or managed the Ariel Hotel in 1940s, early 1950s. I think she bought the hotel after her husband, Harry (Alter) Scher passed away. I have photos of various family members including myself at the age of 3 or 4 (circa 1950) sitting on the porch. We all visited her there until she sold the hotel, I think in the late 1950s and she moved into a house nearby owned by one of my aunts. Anna's niece (my aunt) Debbie Krieger also worked at the Hotel Ariel with Anna

My Uncle is still plugging away at this. He did find an old post card from the Hotel Ariel, just not with a picture of the actual building on it:

vq-0004-postcard-from-atlantic-city-hugh-mccormick-of-the-ariel-hotel-2022-2024-pacific-ave-ac-nj-ca-1900-1910.jpg

That's my Great- Great Grandfather, Hugh McCormick, who ran the hotel. It's from somewhere between 1900 and 1910.

vq-0081a-back-of-vq-0004-hugh-mccormick-holding-rosary-ca-1900-1910.jpg

Back of post card.

Also found his obituary from Atlantic City Evening Herald, March 12, 1913. He died at the age of 97 and had founded his hotel over 40 years before in the 1870s.

My uncle sent me a map of Atlantic City with the old hotel locations labeled, but it's a pdf. I'll see if I can change it to an image file.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice photo's Mike. Thanks for passing them on.

Edith DeCanio

Jun 18, 2016
NassauCounty, NY
As a little girl I spent many a summers with my parents at the Hotel Ariel. It was their favorite place to go. Just recently my sister and I were looking at old pictures and we came across pictures of me and my parents on the porch of the Hotel Ariel. Did not know anyone even remembered it.

As a little girl I spent many a summers with my parents at the Hotel Ariel. It was their favorite place to go. Just recently my sister and I were looking at old pictures and we came across pictures of me and my parents on the porch of the Hotel Ariel. Did not know anyone even remembered it.

Edith, if you have a way (and wouldn't mind) sharing those pictures, my family would sure be grateful.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You are linking to a file that is stored on your computer. You own a Mac.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Welcome to the site Ann! You cannot post a photo that way, you're just showing us where it is stored on your own computer, which is not accessible to others. If you would like it to be visible here, start a new post and click the button that says "Upload a File". Now browse your computer to locate the photo. After it uploads, use the button at the bottom of the page to insert either the full size image or a small thumbnail.

Reactions: Menantico