Around Wharton Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Found this little guy along the JCRR.

DSC_5703a.jpg

We always find these eggs because the bird takes off. If it had stayed there we would have passed by.

IMG_8110a.jpg

We looked for its owner but it was not to be found.

IMG_8114a.jpg

We then parked at Hampton and walked to Quarter Mile. Someone is driving through there. Hopefully, that stops.

IMG_8109b.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy I wonder if we flushed the same night hawk off its nest. I was at the spot we both check, I didn’t see anything though. I’ve been seeing a ton of nighthawks on eggs, I’ve scared about 1/2 dozen off nests today. I never recalling seeing any on the ground prior.

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: TommyP

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy I wonder if we flushed the same night hawk off its nest. I was at the spot we both check, I didn’t see anything though. I’ve been seeing a ton of nighthawks on eggs, I’ve scared about 1/2 dozen off nests today. I never recalling seeing any on the ground prior.

Most likely they are the same.

We moved the skin. It is across the clearing area where we check. We didn't want anyone to come upon it and start looking around. It originally was about 30 feet to the right of the hole if you are standing in front of the hole looking in.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yes quite a lot of them in the core barrens. They make an unusual growl sound, which for longest time I didn’t know where it was coming from. If you come across their nest they run off pretending to have an injured wing to distract from the nest. The babies are so well camouflaged that they are almost invincible on the ground.