Arthur Pierce

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I was looking for another article and saw this and thought some of you may find it interesting. Complements of the Batsto Citizens Gazette.

pierce.jpg

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
The book mentioned: George Washington's Batsto Cypher--is this book still in print? Can anyone summarize its theme ? I never heard of it and I'm a G. Washington fanatic. I suppose I can go to amazon.com to see if it's still in print....David

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
yea, yea, George Washington slept here... Maybe?

The book mentioned: Can anyone summarize its theme ? I never heard of it and I'm a G. Washington fanatic....David

Furball1,

George Washington’s Batsto Cypher is about an iron casting commissioned at Batsto for use at Mt. Vernon. In her Masters Thesis, Megan Giordano (2005: 30-36, Artistry and Industry in Cast Iron: Batsto Furnace, 1766-1840) presented a good account of Washington’s order of hearths and firebacks designed for fireplace remodeling projects during 1787. I believe two of four firebacks are still in place.

I’ve heard multiple anecdotal accounts that the at-the-time President Washington once returned to Mt. Vernon from New York (then the Capitol) via the port of Greenwich, NJ. It is alleged that his route cut across the Pine Barrens, some say by way of Horse Bridge Trail (Main Road – Route 555) or Mattox Road/Shamong Trail (roughly Route 54/206). Local lore suggests the final leg to Greenwich was by the Cohansey Trail (roughly Wheat Road – Route 619 today, to Parvins Mill, then southwest through Bridgeton).

This legend was also relayed by a well-known George Washington portrayer and scholar, and by another credible New Jersey historian who works for the State. Supposedly there is an account within the Washington achieves of this trip, and of Washington’s purchase of a particularly fine cigar en route through South Jersey. I make no claim for its truthfulness, but suggest the legend is worth looking into. I know of a reputed cigar shed that once was located along the early Mattox Road that today is used a farm outbuilding on a very old Buena Vista Township farm (i.e., the farmhouse is timber-framed).

A quirky Washington read is George Washington's Expense Account: Gen. George Washington and Marvin Kitman, Pfc. (Ret.).

Best,
Spung-Man

janwor

Apr 17, 2005
The George Washington Cypher booklet by Arthur Pierce is still available at the Batsto Visitor Center.

Mount Vernon's west parlor has a fireback with the G.W.Cypher. On a class trip my superintendent told the guide that our Folsom School was very close to Batsto where the fireback was made. The guide then let us go beyond the ropes to get a good look at it.

Mount Vernon's publication "Mount Vernon, an illustrated handbook" explains that Washington bought four firebacks in Philadelphia in 1787. He sent a letter to Charles Petit ordering four firebacks. At that time the Richards family sold their products through their Philadelphia agent Charles Petit. The appendix of Family Empire in Iron explains how the Mount Vernon firebacks did go from Batsto to Philadelphia to Mt.Vernon.

I am sure that the above info was used by Megan Giordano. I hope that Batsto has a copy of her thesis.

Janet

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
G.W. & Olde Daytona Beache

Thank-you all ! I must admit, however, that I expected Jerseyman to add his 4 pence, so to speak, however, perhaps the topic has been throughly expounded on ! Did y'all know that when G.W. was in his retirement years he came to Daytona Beach ? Farquahr Snerdfoot, PhD, submitted his research thesis and the evidence recently at the Old Fountain Motel, where it is said GW kicked back and sucked some suds with the locals! LOL !