"Astrophotography 101" at Bass River SF, Sat 8/19 (tomorrow!)

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
(Sorry for the short notice. I should have posted this sooner. But maybe some people are still interested and can go. It sounds great and I'm going to try to make it. Ben Wurst is a Habitat Program Manager at Conserve Wildlife NJ, mostly known for his work with Ospreys, including building nest stands and banding the young.)

(Here is the announcement. National Weather Service is calling for mostly clear, with 22-25% sky cover, which isn't great but I don't think he will cancel unless it gets worse. No entrance fee after 6pm, I think.)

Did you ever wish you knew how to get photos of the constellations and Milky Way in the dark, night sky? Join Ben Wurst, an amateur photographer, to learn about the basics of astrophotography on Saturday August 19th starting at 8:15 pm at the Lake Absegami Beach in Bass River State Forest (762 Stage Road).

During this 'hands on' presentation Ben will go over settings and techniques used to capture long exposure at night. Attendees should bring a digital SLR camera, lens that can focus manually (the wider the better!), and a tripod. Also helpful is a remote shutter release and don't forget the flashlight!

Insect repellent and something to sit on is recommended. Cloudy conditions cancel. The venue is ADA accessible. The program is free but donations to the Bass River State Forest Interpretive Program are welcome.

Info: contact the Forest Office at (609) 296-1114

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
This was lots of fun. Had a good group of people and Ben was great. My only complaint was a few people who used their flashlights way too much. I've never done this before, and these are straight-out-of-camera shots, so don't be too harsh.
astro1.jpg

astro2.jpg