Atco Dragway Fire

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Very Smokey at my house, looks like there is a fire behind the dragway but drove by and couldn’t see much smoke. Lots of smoke by the pit on Atsion though and fire trucks behind the trailer park.

Attachments

• F46698E5-5FBD-4067-9E00-C9A6337D9870.jpeg
    F46698E5-5FBD-4067-9E00-C9A6337D9870.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 65

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I didn't smell it in the house until the last hour or so, and now it's pretty intense. The wind must be pushing it this way.

Going to put the HEPA filter into overdrive yet again.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
No smell here at 7 by 8 full smoke and ashes on cars. Just can’t figure out exactly where it is. Thick forest tho with minimal fire breaks.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
No smell here at 7 by 8 full smoke and ashes on cars. Just can’t figure out exactly where it is. Thick forest tho with minimal fire breaks.
The kids and I went out to check it out. Given that the fire is reported in section C-11 I would assume it at least started in Camden county. The way the smoke is blowing it’s definitely heading towards Medford and Shamong. Hopefully it doesn’t cross the Mullica. It will be interesting how this one is contained. Like you said it thick and has minimal fire breaks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Using the photo from smoke_jumper showing the Tremont Ave sign and the mailbox, I ran a line along a path. If it is correct the fire should be along that. So it is either on the South side of the TuscoMusco at the dunes which would make it a fairly easy fight, or it is further. If it is in the Oak Knoll area on the other side of the Mullica it will be a slightly tougher fight.

It is on the NW side of the Green Limb Branch at Hay Landing it will be a really tough fight. And if that is where it is at and it was a set fire, I hate to say it but all Jessica and I see out there are motorcycles. I have never ran into anyone out there and for the most part nobody goes there except motorcycles. We have spent quite a bit of time out there exploring.

Can anyone narrow down if it is close to the Dragway or Atsion Road?

tusco.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I may be slightly off with the mailbox and my line should be more to the right.

mailbox.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Judging by the media I am thinking it is on the south side of the TuscoMusco, and if so, it should be a fairly easy fight. Evans road goes through there and the dunes are drivable.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In the event the FFS are interested, every time we have ventured further down Evan's road a fairly well hidden game camera has been set up. Not sure if it was working though.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I agree Guy I think that is where it is. In any event there wasn’t a lot of personnel out there yesterday, didn’t hear any helicopters. I’m guessing it’s an area they can contain it. Woke up to ash all over my deck and cars though. Still very Smokey in yard. Facebook said it was between the dragway and the Mullica. Think it’s the spot dead center of the map below. It’s wetlands and thick all around that dune.

Attachments

• IMG_5357.png
    IMG_5357.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5358.png
    IMG_5358.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, that is the TuscoMusco Dunes. There was a large stone on that dune at one time. The Atsion tract travels right down the dune crossing Evans road, traveling behind the drag way and crossing Jackson Road west of the dragway and it heads to Goshen. On the East side of the dune across the Mullica was another stone I have not been able to find as well. Evans road mentioned in the map below was there as early as 1710 or so. Some people have tried to say it wasn't a road but it was. This map tells us. :)

TuscoM.jpg

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Judging by the media I am thinking it is on the south side of the TuscoMusco, and if so, it should be a fairly easy fight. Evans road goes through there and the dunes are drivable.
The fire is reported to be in c-11.
I may be slightly off with the mailbox and my line should be more to the right.

View attachment 20644
I did the same thing but I used the snack center as my reference since the grand stand is no longer there and came up with the similar line. Using that line the fire is on the Camden county side of the Mullica. Since the fire is reported in Camden county. Burlington county is B-1.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Whoever started it should have concerns. Hunter go back there and as mentioned I know of one hidden game camera nearby. That is where Jessica and I interrupted hunters who came on ebikes. They were not happy.

IMG_7453a.jpg

Reactions: TommyP

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will check it all out the next time I am there. I am way behind in my short term projects because of being sick.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
MAJOR WILDFIRE
200 acres/5% contained

08/20/23 @ 1500 hrs- Section C11, ‘Dragway Wildfire’, Wharton State Forest, Waterford Twp- Crews working a fire just east of the Atco drag strip. Currently this fire is 200 acres and 5% contained. Crews will continue to improve control lines and backfire where needed. No structures are currently threatened. There are no road closures.
Updated 08/21 at 0500 hrs.