Atco Dragway Fire

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Drove by this am, there isn’t a lot of smoke coming from the actual area. No observed flames. There was much more fire truck and personnel there now. That is all wet thick woods surrounding. I go back there a lot and access is severely limited and even this year is still wet in most places. Think it’s just a lot of smoke from alot of green vegetation.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Drove by this am, there isn’t a lot of smoke coming from the actual area. No observed flames. There was much more fire truck and personnel there now. That is all wet thick woods surrounding. I go back there a lot and access is severely limited and even this year is still wet in most places. Think it’s just a lot of smoke from alot of green vegetation.
I’m guessing they are briefing this morning and waiting for the burn window to start firing it in. I suspect the acreage to climb dramatically. Most of the backfiring should be done by 3:00 or so. Last night was probably monitoring it and improving the containment lines that they are planning to use. (Sometimes I really miss doing it)

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
369616094_637342688497207_1383164424796546866_n.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So they either back burning which I suspect they are, or the fire is heading that way. Thanks John!

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
So they either back burning which I suspect they are, or the fire is heading that way. Thanks John!
When I went by this morning there was a plow line along the power lines to Jackson road. So they were setting up to burn from the power lines to the county line bridge and then likely down the road immediately after. Not sure how far down that road but it could be all the way to the cranberry bogs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is why they control burn it. Maybe it will make it easier for them.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That is a large area. By the cranberry bogs along that road is Goshen Gap.
Yes I’m only guessing. There isn’t really any defensible fire breaks to the north except the power lines. I didn’t map it out but my guess this morning was 1,000 to 1,500 acres for the final size. At least that’s what I told my son but I’m purely guessing

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Lol correct, there isn’t a firebreak to be seen in the whole area above the dune and damn near out to Atsion road and the power line cut. It’s tough exploring out there because of it.

Jackson Rd from Tremont Ave to Atsion Rd (Shamong)

closed indefinitely due to a forest fire, avoid the area. No immediate threat to residental areas.
I got detoured by that on my way back from lunch. It is smoky on Atsion Road between Jackson and 206. I was told by a friend in Shamong this morning that they have been backburning the area from behind the trailer park on Atsion Road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
They were back behind there last night at the trailer park. Seems like a long ways away to backfire though. The stream is narrow there but I cant imagine it could jump. There is also a road/trail that hugs that area and up to the trailer park. Seems like overkill, but who knows.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Overkill is a good reason to do some extra burning when they really are not allowed to do it. If I was them I would do the same thing. Who is going to question them, except maybe Bob :D

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
367493361_637560721808737_7310609641590826144_n.jpg

Looks like they're getting it well under control.

When this is all finished, maybe it will open some opportunities for exploration back there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like they're getting it well under control.

When this is all finished, maybe it will open some opportunities for exploration back there.

Just be careful. A member here who is part of the FFS has warned me about falling trees right after a fire and Jessica and I have been much more careful of that issue since then. We have had some close calls over the years.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Took the bike out for a ride to explore the fire. Went on a trail behind the trailer park that eventually dumps out onto Jackson road just before the bridge over the Mullica. The road on Boyd’s map is Austin’s causeway road. They started a backfire there just to the west of the cranberry bogs at corner of Atsion and Jackson. I didn’t go down very far as it was Smokey and didn’t want to upset anyone. The burn in the area I was in was not severe and looked no different than a standard controlled burn. I will explore more once they re open jackson. My very non exact area for the fire is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    854.6 KB · Views: 101

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
In a day or two some satellite imagery should come up on Planet Labs that will show the extent in detail. Currently there's nothing available for the area in question since Saturday.

Edit: Imagery from yesterday at 11:54AM is now available.

It looks like there are several separate areas still smoldering. Because of the thin cloud cover/haze, I can't exactly outline the full boundaries. The highlighted section up to Jackson Road definitely burned.

dragstrip-wildfire-082223.jpg

Imagery copyright Planet Labs, Inc.

Last edited: