Atco Dragway to permanently close after 63 years in NJ, all remaining events for 2023 canceled

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't get it. At least 3 times this year I went to Camden County via Jackson Road when there were things going on there, and the number of people there looked like they would be making money.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I enjoy hearing the raceway. Found it irritating when I first moved here but like it now. I also don’t understand because it did always seem busy.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I hope someone buys it and reopens it. I have also come to enjoy the sounds of it in the distance. It feels like a natural part of the sound of summer.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Supposedly it's been sold to an auto auction company that will use the land for auctions or a salvage yard.
Pinelands voted that down years ago. Only thing I’ve heard was it was purchased by an an anonymous buyer that has no interest in continuing racing.

Reactions: TommyP

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Supposedly it's been sold to an auto auction company that will use the land for auctions or a salvage yard.
I am the Waterford Township Planning Board Planner and a resident of the Township. The Insurance Auto Auction application (IAA) dominated our agenda for nearly a year, with all meetings taking place on Zoom because of COVID 19 bullsh%t. The applicant presented an expert for every facet of the proposal including air quality, noise, groundwater contamination, traffic engineering, wetlands, T&E, etc. The early meetings were completely consumed by hours of testimony from all of their experts.

The proposal was to store 5,000 or more accident-damaged, fire-damaged or flood-damaged vehicles on paved and unpaved surfaces throughout the upland portions of the property. Deliveries to the site would be made directly from accident scenes. An interested person could bid on those vehicles and have the vehicle picked up. Some of IAA's vehicles are drivable and some are badly damaged and are suited for parts salvaging by the buyer. IAA made it very clear that no parts removal would be performed on the site. Some vehicles can be viewed on IAA's current website, are actually sold with a biohazard warning, ostensibly because of blood or other materials left behind from a person who may have been severely injured in the vehicle.

Because everyone was new to Zoom, we had many glitches including exceeding attendee capacity on the very first meeting. The meeting had to be canceled because the public was unintentionally denied participation. Then, a few meetings in, we were booted off because the Township failed to pay a monthly renewal fee. The fee was paid after about 10 minutes of dead air but the meeting had to canceled anyway because people who had logged in and then kicked off would not have known to log back in. After that everyone became fairly adept with Zoom and we were able to eventually hear all of the public comment..

Pinelands did in fact issue an Inconsistent Certificate of Filing which allows an applicant to move forward at the local level. The inconsistency was an easily resolvable adjustment in some of the applicant's stormwater management design elements. The Pinelands Commission voiced no objections but the Pinelands Preservation Alliance certainly did and had someone in attendance at every meeting.

The application was ultimately denied by our Board and IAA did not appeal.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I am the Waterford Township Planning Board Planner and a resident of the Township. The Insurance Auto Auction application (IAA) dominated our agenda for nearly a year, with all meetings taking place on Zoom because of COVID 19 bullsh%t. The applicant presented an expert for every facet of the proposal including air quality, noise, groundwater contamination, traffic engineering, wetlands, T&E, etc. The early meetings were completely consumed by hours of testimony from all of their experts.

The proposal was to store 5,000 or more accident-damaged, fire-damaged or flood-damaged vehicles on paved and unpaved surfaces throughout the upland portions of the property. Deliveries to the site would be made directly from accident scenes. An interested person could bid on those vehicles and have the vehicle picked up. Some of IAA's vehicles are drivable and some are badly damaged and are suited for parts salvaging by the buyer. IAA made it very clear that no parts removal would be performed on the site. Some vehicles can be viewed on IAA's current website, are actually sold with a biohazard warning, ostensibly because of blood or other materials left behind from a person who may have been severely injured in the vehicle.

Because everyone was new to Zoom, we had many glitches including exceeding attendee capacity on the very first meeting. The meeting had to be canceled because the public was unintentionally denied participation. Then, a few meetings in, we were booted off because the Township failed to pay a monthly renewal fee. The fee was paid after about 10 minutes of dead air but the meeting had to canceled anyway because people who had logged in and then kicked off would not have known to log back in. After that everyone became fairly adept with Zoom and we were able to eventually hear all of the public comment..

Pinelands did in fact issue an Inconsistent Certificate of Filing which allows an applicant to move forward at the local level. The inconsistency was an easily resolvable adjustment in some of the applicant's stormwater management design elements. The Pinelands Commission voiced no objections but the Pinelands Preservation Alliance certainly did and had someone in attendance at every meeting.

The application was ultimately denied by our Board and IAA did not appeal.
Thanks for the clarification, Scott. I’m sure your phone is blowing up and now you’ll likely have something to dominate your agenda again lol

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Scott, that certainly does not sound like something that should be plunked down next to the headwaters of the Mullica. Maybe okay if they used a giant impermeable surfarce and treated all the rain water coming off the site.

Kind of related, I remember that the junkyard off Lacey Road NW of Bamber closed down. I think it was in the 1990's. I was floored when, after raking the ground and sprucing the area up, they let another guy in there doing nearly the same thing or similar! Parked cars everywhere. Cedar Creek is a Class 1 stream (I think), and there is a headwaters tributary right next to the yard.

I drove by it this weekend each day the event was held. There were signs saying that heavy traffic was expected, but it wasn't that bad at all. A little slow as people looked for the entrance but no long lines tying up traffic, at least none that I experienced. Perhaps they didn't get as big a turnout as they expected.

Takoda

Feb 12, 2012
Southern NJ
Grandstand for sale. I guess it isn't being reincarnated.

Yea - funny how the track is already being parted in less than 1 day of the Facebook posting.

You're going to tell us that the Waterford Twp. Planning Board Members knew nothing about a 63 yr old facility with HUGE property and one of the most well known strips in the Country was being sold without their notification or awareness???

Give me a break already.

Something like that just doesn't "happen" without anyone being notified OR anyone being aware.

It's still being touted online that the track is going to be turned into a harbor for salvaged vehicles. If the Waterford PB was against it previously - how is that going to happen now?

I mean PAPERWORK has (had) to have been filed to sell that parcel of land.... it's not just a flick of a switch transaction. People KNEW...

It's disgusting. So now everyone is going to play stupid with the "we didn't know"?

If a auto salvage facility bought that location, I hope Atco and Waterford Residents are pleased to now deal with all hours of the day transports/towing and dumping of vehicles plus the associated pollution of salvaged vehicles littering what once was a great venue for ALL to enjoy.

Tell me too how Fazzios got the deal to part out the Atco grandstands - you know how? Because they too KNEW what was happening before it got to the media - and won the bid to getting the metal.

What a bunch of jokers.

You all think the street racing was bad in Chats and surrounding towns/roads before Atco closed - it's going to get worse.